Bedwas back to winning ways with seven try salvo.

Bedwas RFC 47 Maesteg Quins RFC 17.

WRU Admiral Championship, Saturday 01 April 2023.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Bedwas ran in seven tries including a hat-trick for Lewis Crane to return to winning ways over an injury struck Maesteg Quins who were limited to only eighteen men in their match day squad.

On a bright afternoon it was the visitors who struck first with a free-flowing move putting right wing man Geraint Evans in at the right-hand corner with only two minutes played. Owen Howe added the extras.

Bedwas responded with some sustained pressure which eventually bought its reward as Lewis Crane forced his way over through a crowd of bodies to cross for a try. James Dixon added the conversion.

Continued pressure from Bedwas earned a second try this time for centre Sam Davies who squeezed through to reach out to cross the line, Dixon again adding the conversion.

Howe added a penalty to reduce the arrears, but the joy was short-lived as two minutes later Lloyd Wilkins’ deft chip through offered a kind bounce and Wilkins crossed for a try past a static defence. Dixon again adding the conversion.

It was all Bedwas at this stage as five minutes later Callaghan Smith’s cheeky chip through off the outside of the boot was gathered by Lewis Crane to dive in for his second try of the afternoon and earn Bedwas a four try bonus point. James Dixon added the conversion.

Maesteg efforts to get into the game were often thwarted by indiscipline and back chat to the referee and Bedwas easily coped with defending their advantage.

James Dixon had a ‘last kick of the half’ penalty kick from the halfway line to increase the lead, but his kick hit the cross bar and was cleared to touch, and the referee blew for the interval.

The second half became a bit of an arm wrestle with neither side looking like scoring but it was Maesteg who were again first on the board as their captain Steve Williams crashed over for a try converted by Howe.

A yellow card for Maesteg hooker Dean Ronan with sixty-eight minutes played proved decisive as two minutes later Bedwas increased their lead as Lewis Crane ran in his third try, James Dixon converted to increase the Bedwas lead to eighteen points.

Liam Jenkins added the sixth try a few minutes later as he burst from just inside the Maesteg half, beat off a couple of defenders to cross for a try. Dixon’s conversion fell wide.

Bedwas were not finished. With the last play of the game Corey Howells beat off would be tacklers to complete the try tally for the afternoon. Dixon added the conversion and the referee ended proceedings with a shrill blast of the whistle.

This was a much improved performance from Bedwas and hopefully a building block for the rest of the season.

Bedwas Man of the Match sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly was awarded to Lewis Crane.

Next Saturday (8th April) Bedwas travel to the Swansea Valley to take on Ystalyfera RFC, kick off is at 2-30pm.

Images from the game are at: