Resolute Bedwas maintain winning run

Bedwas RFC 21 Cardiff Met RFC 15

WRU Admiral Championship (East), Saturday 16 December 2023.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Bedwas took their winning streak to four games as determined defence from the entire team was once again pleasing to the team management and supporters alike earning a deserved victory.

On a cool, overcast afternoon both sides sought an early advantage but neither side could force a breakthrough in the early part of the game.

Bedwas had advantage of the wind in the first half, but James Dixon missed the first kickable penalty of the half.

From the restart Bedwas made good ground via a Rhys Morgans tackle bust his pass finding Aaron Billingham on the right wing to use his pace to cross in the corner for a try to celebrate his 50th appearance for the club in style. Dixon added the conversion from the touchline.

Met had an opportunity to reduce the deficit five minutes later but Ross McKay’s penalty shot fell short.

Both side’s defences continued to dominate before Bedwas’s Jak Robbins was injured in a tackle which will see him sidelined for a few weeks. Jacob Wright took over scrum half duties.

Just before the interval Lewis Bowden bulldozed through the visitor’s defence, two Met defenders clashed heads in an attempt to stop him which saw them take no further part in the game. Dixon missed the conversion and half time arrived.

Cardiff Met closed the gap with a penalty from McKay after a Bedwas high tackle with four minutes of the second half played only for Dixon to restore the home advantage five minutes later with a penalty of his own, this kick notching up Dixon’s contribution to the season to 150 points.

A Connor Chapman unconverted try after seventeen minutes saw the Bedwas lead cut to seven points, but another Dixon penalty put Bedwas ten points ahead temporarily as three minutes a jinking run by winger Roma Zheng bought about his side’s second try. McKay successfully converted to put his side within three points with twelve minutes remaining.

Bedwas heroically repressed any thoughts Cardiff may have had and with nine minutes left to play James Dixon added a third penalty of the day to extend the Bedwas lead.

Cardiff Met refused to lie down but Bedwas defence remained on point and no further scores occurred.

This victory sees Bedwas maintain sixth position in the league ahead of the Christmas break. The next game for Bedwas is at St Peters RFC on Saturday 30th December 2023, kick off is at 2-30pm.

The Bedwas Man of the Match sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly was awarded to Lewis David.

Today’s image gallery is at Bedwas RFC’s albums | Flickr