Five Bedwas tries earn Bedwas deserved win at Wanderers



Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Five Bedwas tries including a hat-trick for winger Aaron Billingham saw Bedwas comfortably ease past Wanderers.

An overcast early afternoon Memorial  Ground met the teams as Bedwas hoped to re-find the form that we saw against the same opposition at the start of the season.

James Dixon notched an early Bedwas penalty after Wanderers were adjudged to not releasing the ball in the tackle, only for Bedwas to commit the same offence within 60 seconds allowing Wanderers outside half Tom Francis to level the scores.

Bedwas increased the lead after eight minutes. A Bedwas penalty to touch failed to find touch but good pressure saw the clearing kick barely out of the 22 metre line. Winning the line out Lewis Bowden put in a powerful run before passing to Ben Drew who pinned his ears back to run in from 20 metres. James Dixon added the extras.

Bedwas had opportunities to increase the lead but failed to take them. One such opportunity occurred before half time. With Wanderers a man short due to a yellow card to scrum half Steffan Davies for his part in an earlier fracas a Bedwas attack broke down close to the Wanderers line. A quick counter attack saw the home side put the ball through the hands before full back Tommy Taylor cross for a try. Francis added the extras to tie up the scores.

With added time being played James Dixon added two penalty goals to put his 16 points to 10 ahead at the break.

Dixon extended the Bedwas lead three minutes into the second half via a close range penalty.

Bedwas upped the ante and a stolen Wanderers line out saw Harry Oliver make good ground to send the supporting Aaron Billingham in for a try in the right corner. Dixon missed the conversion.

Bedwas made several changes before James Dixon added another penalty with about twenty minutes to play. Wanderers captain Max Wootton picked up a yellow card and immediately Bedwas took advantage as Aaron Billingham found the space to add his second try of the day; Dixon adding the extras.

Against the run of play Wanderers pulled a try back through winger Philip Pariyo, converted by Francis but Bedwas were in no mood for further  concessions.

With both sides looking to add to their tally it was Bedwas who scored next as Aaron Billingham’s third try of the game and bonus point earning try made the game safe. Dixon converted from the touch line.

Bedwas were not finished and on the last play of the afternoon a Lloyd Wilkins try completed the scorer, but his conversion attempt fell wide.

All in all a very competent performance from everyone in a Bedwas jersey.

Next week Bedwas make their longest trip of the season as all roads will lead to Pembrokeshire’s Narberth ground for a league fixture which kicks off at 2-30pm.

Images can be found at Bedwas RFC’s albums | Flickr