Bedwas through to Round 2 of cup after 12 try thrashing of Tata Steel.

Tata Steel RFC 5 Bedwas RFC 78

WRU Specsavers Cup Round 1, Saturday 14th September 2019.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

Bedwas maintained their excellent early season form running in twelve tries past a shell shocked fellow championship club Tata Steel RFC.

On a very warm September afternoon Bedwas racked up their highest score in any competition for many years.

The afternoon got off to a perfect start with the first try of the afternoon with little more than 60 seconds played. Following a penalty kicked to touch Bedwas quickly recycled the ball for debutant hooker Josh Dunleavy to carry through a gap in the home defence and touch down between the posts. Dion McIntosh added the easy conversion.

It didn’t take long for Bedwas to extend the lead as yet another debutant crossed the line this time winger Liam Jenkins who accelerated through the home defence for his first Bedwas try. McIntosh again adding the conversion.

Bedwas forwards Alex Thau and Matthew Bovington somehow managed to collide with each other and after a delay whilst the medical team did the necessary Bovington was replaced by Jonathan Armitage.

Jordan Rees came close to adding to the scoring but ran into touch 5 metres short of the try line but scrum half Matt Bancroft made no such mistake a few minutes later as Bedwas ran in their third try again McIntosh adding the extras.

Tata played with determination to get back into the game and with Bedwas down to 14 men following prop forward Jamie Tucker’s sin binning enough space was created for left wing Sam Pridgeon to cross out wide. Lewis Humphreys’ conversion missed the target.

It didn’t take long into the second half for Bedwas to extend their advantage with Owen Jones powering over, McIntosh added the extras. With the hosts down to fourteen men following back rower Sam Treharne’s sin binning the Bedwas pack pushed their hosts backwards for Matt Bancroft to pounce on the ball for the fifth try of the afternoon. McIntosh missing his first conversion attempt of the afternoon.

Bedwas made wholesale changes between 50 and 57 minutes with Owain Keane replacing Matt Bancroft, Daniel Scott on for Josh Dunleavy, Callum Rowland on for James Hallett and Rhys Morgans for Owen Jones.

There then followed a bit of fisticuffs and after speaking to both captains the referee decided to issue a red card to one player from each side; the home sides Paul Edwards and Bedwas’ Jordan Rees trudged off. Shortly afterwards the home sides Lewis Humphreys was sin binned for deliberate off side.

Bed was took full advantage and captain Dale Rogers was driven over for a try out wide after 57 minutes which was converted by McIntosh.

Young backrower Rhys Morgans another Bedwas debutant opened his try scoring account very soon after entering the fray improved upon by McIntosh quickly followed by replacement scrum half Owain Keane who collected his own kick through the defence to sprint through for his maiden Bedwas try which went unconverted.

Bedwas were not finished as Gareth Allen galloped through for a try following a break by centre Matt Williams who unselfishly passed to Allen converted by replacement Bradley Williams who then added a try of his own and put the icing on the cake with the conversion from in front of the posts.

Liam Jenkins added his second try of the afternoon as he sprinted clear of the home defence before Owain Keane notched his second of the afternoon which when converted by Bradley Williams completed the scoring.

Bedwas Man of the Match was awarded to Gareth Allen.

Next weekend its back to league rugby as Bedwas make the short journey to Beddau, kick off 2-30pm.

The travelling Bedwas supporters would like to place on record their grateful thanks to the Tata Steel RFC Committee for their generous hospitality and warm welcome. We look forward to welcoming you to the Bridgefield in April 2020.

Images from yesterdays game can be found at: