Bedwas hit the self destruct button as Wanderers strike back

Bedwas RFC 38 Glamorgan Wanderers RFC 41.

WRU Admiral Championship (East), Saturday 20th April 2024.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Bedwas threw away a commanding lead to gift Wanderers a deserved victory and in doing so leave Bedwas hopes of making the top five a very big ask.

On a sunny, dry spring afternoon Wanderers dominated early possession but couldn’t turn territory into points and it was Bedwas who scored first as scrum half Jak Robbins found a gap to run in for a try with twelve minutes played. James Dixon’s conversion kick was charged down.

Wanderers responded almost immediately with a try by outside centre Aron Arthur, outside half Ceri Morris’s conversion was wide of the posts.

Once again Bedwas were quickly back on the front foot as Lewis Bowden crossed for a try converted by Dixon.

A Max Rivers try just after the halfway point of the half again converted by Dixon increased Bedwas’s lead.

Wanderers had a chance to reduce the lead after Bedwas conceded a penalty at a scrum, but Morris’s kick missed the target.

Bedwas made them pay six minutes later as Jak Robbins grabbed his second try of the afternoon, converted by Dixon, at this stage Bedwas were in control and a bonus point was in the bank.

Just before the half time whistle Bedwas failed to clear their lines conceding a penalty in so doing and in the last play of the half inside centre and captain Josh Male crossed for a try, converted by Morris.

Wanderers started the second half off on the front foot and crossed for a try by Jacob Newman with only three minutes played; Morris’s conversion kick went wide.

Shortly afterwards Jo Hole was yellow carded for a high tackle and from the resulting penalty Ceri Morriss slotted home a Bedwas’s advantage was a slender four points.

Two minutes later Wanderers edged into the lead for the first time thanks to a try by full back George Cottrell converted by Morris.

A break from deep by Lloyd Wilkins was rewarded with a try in the corner, Dixon did well to add the extras from an acute angle and Bedwas regained the lead.

The joy was short lived as a static defence allowed Josh Male his second try of the afternoon converted by Morris to restore his sides lead.

With twelve minutes to play Lewis Bowden’s second try of the afternoon converted by Dixon put Bedwas back in charge but Wanderers were in no mood to lie down and a try by Amir Jiwa Walji and conversion by Ceri Morris restored their lead which although chances were there Bedwas were unable to add to their points tally.

Bedwas had to be content with two bonus points for finishing within seven points and scoring four tries after a disappointing second half.

Next Saturday make the short trip to Cross Keys for what is certain to be another tough battle.

The Bedwas Man of the Match sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly was awarded to Lewis Bowden.

Today’s match gallery is at