Newport RFC 22 Bedwas RFC 17

Principality Welsh Premiership, Sunday 23rd September 2018.

Match report and images by Ian Lovell.

A Luke Crane deep into stoppage time earned Bedwas a precious losing bonus point which at times looked to be unlikely given the number of try scoring opportunities wasted by the home side.

Bedwas suffered an early blow when starting lock forward Craig Hudd picked up a neck injury and was replaced by Gareth Allen.

Newport dominated early possession preventing Bedwas from getting their hands on the ball. After going through the phases this gained its reward as eventually space was conjured up for winger Jonny Morris to cross for a try. Matt O’Brien’s conversion attempt into the wind drifted wide.

A Jacob Chilcott penalty goal from close range in front of the posts reduced the deficit before Newport captain and number 8 Rhys Jenkins crossed, this time converted by O’Brien.

Newport increased their lead after a break from deep saw Bedwas would be tacklers missing in action and left winger Elliot Frewin sprinted through from deep to touch down under the posts. O’Brien’s conversion put his side 19 points to 3 ahead and seemingly in total control.

To their credit Bedwas stayed strong and a fine passing move set up Kane Teear-Bourge for his Bedwas try, Chilcott successfully adding the extras from out wide.

Newport profligacy continued allowing Bedwas to keep on their tails. Bedwas were also guilty of wastefulness at time when dropping the ball or losing possession but they stuck to their tasks.

Both teams’ number 6 James Richards for Bedwas and Josh Skinner for Newport were sinbinned for their part in a scuffle and from the resulting penalty Matt O’Brien dissected the posts to extend his sides lead.

Strong defence by the home side kept Bedwas out but at the other end the hosts continued to waste try opportunities as they sought the fourth ad bonus point winning try.

Going into the final phases of the game Will Evans became the second Newport player to find himself in the sinbin and Bedwas sniffed the chance of getting something from the game.

Working their way up the pitch Bedwas were bizarrely not penalised when two knock on’s looked evident and eventually earned a scrum 12 metres from the posts. Controlled possession by forwards and backs finally saw Luke Crane dart in from close range for a try. Jacob Chilcott added the extras to put Bedwas within seven points and a losing bonus point.

Next Saturday (29th September) Bedwas welcome Carmarthen Quins to the Bridgefield, kick-off is at 2-30pm.