Bargoed RFC 26 Bedwas RFC 28.

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 06th October 2018.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

The Bedwas team resisted a late Bargoed onslaught to hold out and record their first victory of the season on Saturday.

Playing into a cold, strong wind Bedwas were under early pressure as Bargoed’s physically larger pack gave them an advantage at scrums. This early pressure saw a Bedwas adjudged guilty of collapsing a scrum after 8 minutes and the referee awarding a penalty try. To compound matters prop forward Tom Devine was sin-binned.

Joe Scrivens reduced the arrears four minutes later with a well struck penalty after Bargoed were penalised at a ruck.

Despite being a man down Bedwas competed well and extended their lead after 18 minutes when wing Kane Teear-Bourge reacted quickest to confusion in the Bargoed defence to run through for a try. Joe Scrivens added the extra’s to extend the lead.

Both sides vied for supremacy but it was Bargoed who went in for the half time break in front. Close forward play eventually saw Number 8 Adam Powell driven over for a try converted by Josh Prosser.

Bedwas responded with a spell of good possession which eventually came to nought ending with a yellow card for both captains (Bargoed’s Rhys Morgan and Bedwas’ Nathan Hudd) after a brawl bought the half to close.

With the wind at their backs for the second half Bedwas didn’t waste time increasing their lead. A well organised move from a line-out saw lock forward Phil Williams driven over for his first Bedwas try. Scrivens’ conversion drifting wide of the posts.

Bedwas extended the lead five minutes later. A break down the middle by Jacob Chilcott set up Jonathan Armitage to crash over to the right of the posts leaving Scrivens an easy conversion.

Bedwas made changes to keep up the momentum and a further Scrivens penalty goal extended the lead around the hour mark.

Bargoed also made changes as reinforcements came on; big men replacing big men and once more the Bedwas scrum was under pressure leading to a second penalty try after 65minutes.

Scrivens missed a penalty shot from left of the posts awarded straight after the restart but redeemed himself two minutes later with a shot from similar distance on the other flank.

This kick proved to be the pivotal as replacement prop John Lavender scored a Bargoed try with about 10 minutes remaining to bring Bargoed to within two points; crucially for Bedwas the conversion was missed.

Bargoed upped the ante and laid siege on the Bedwas line. A kickable penalty goal was turned down as the home side sought a try to put the score out of Bedwas’ reach but possession was lost as Bedwas put bodies on the line and held out for a deserved victory.

Bedwas are back in action on Friday evening as the BBC camera’s come to the Bridgefield for the fixture to be televised live across the nation. Cardiff will provide the opposition for an eagerly anticipated game. Kick-off is at 7-10pm.