2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 34 v 19 Bargoed
25 April 2018 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas ease past Bargoed on a cold, windy night.

Bedwas RFC 34 Bargoed RFC 19

Principality Welsh Premiership, Wednesday 25th April 2018.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 A mere four days since ran riot against Cross Keys and Bedwas were in action again. After most supporters enjoyed the Keys game in warm spring sunshine it was a windy, cold evening that greeted supporters for this floodlit match.

Bargoed had first use of a strong wind but ultimately when it was their turn in the second half Bedwas used it to better effect but the visitors enjoyed plenty of possession in the first period but could not turn it into points.

Indeed Bedwas found it hard to get out of their own half in the first 30 minutes it took for the first score of the night to be registered. After weathering much Bargoed pressure Bedwas finally got out of their half. Bargoed were penalised at a scrum and from the penalty cleared into the visitors 22 the Bedwas forwards executed a good truck and trailer move to earn a try for hooker Mike Dacey. Steffan Jones added the extras.

Bargoed struck back just before the interval as Ashley Norton drifted through a static defence for a try which went unconverted.

With the wind at their backs for the second half Bedwas started the second half with more purpose.

Matthew John ran through to increase the lead on 54 minutes but Steffan Jones’ conversion was unsuccessful.

Andrew Waite increased the Bedwas lead after an hour and after a strong run he touched down in the corner, again unconverted before Bedwas made a raft of changes.

Bargoed hit back and centre Darren Humphries crossed for a try improved upon by replacement Matthew Lewis.

Steffan Jones notched a penalty goal after 70 minutes followed by another tranche of Bedwas replacements but this time Bedwas rhythm was unaffected as Andrew Waite claimed his second and Bedwas’ bonus point 4th try, Jones’ conversion increasing the lead.

Bedwas were not finished as Matthew John burst through for a try with three minutes remaining again converted by Jones as Bedwas looked to finish on a high.

There was however still time for Bargoed as back rower Ben Fry profited from a mistake in the Bedwas defence to cross for a try improved upon by Lewis.

Bedwas have no game this coming weekend and are next in action on Tuesday 1st May for another rearranged fixtures as Newport are the visitors to the Bridgefield for the last home game of the season, kick-off 7-15pm.

Official : Stephen Allsop (Wales)

Bedwas Bargoed