2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 29 v 28 Newport
01 May 2018 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas clinch victory late in the game


Bedwas RFC 29 Newport RFC 28

Principality Welsh Premiership, Tuesday 1st May 2018.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 James Richards pounced on a defensive error to score a late match winning try as Bedwas recorded a third successive win to move up to fifth in the Premiership table.

On another wet evening Bedwas got the perfect start. Having gained possession from the kick off the ball was swiftly moved through the hands and Adam Williams powered through a gap to open the scoring after only 35 seconds. Steffan Jones added the extras to put Bedwas seven points ahead. Newport’s woes being confounded by an injury to full back Cyle Powell who left the field with blood pouring from his nose.

Chay Smith who temporarily replaced Powell quickly made his mark on the game as ran past a static Bedwas defence from the half way line to cross in the corner. Matt O’Brien added the conversion to tie the scores.

Bedwas indiscipline saw O’Brien add two penalties as Bedwas were adjudged offside and then a high tackle to put Newport ahead before right wing Harri Lane increased their lead with a well taken try. O’Brien kept up his kicking accuracy to add the conversion.

Adam Williams added his second try of the night after 24 minutes again a similar solo effort to his first try which with Steffan Jones’ conversion reduced the arrears.

Both sides’ efforts to score further points were reduced by unforced errors but strong running by first Matthew John and then quick hands from Andrew Waite and Rhys Hutcherson set up Adam Dove to power through for a try for the young second rower which although Jones’ conversion kick drifted across the goal it meant Bedwas reached the interval a single point behind.

Tom Lucas’ unconverted try put Newport back in front but a catch and drive from a line out saw Bedwas narrow the gap to a single point once again as Geraint Edmunds was driven over for an unconverted try with just over 20 minutes left to play.

Replacement Simon Veall notched a penalty for Newport to put them in the box seat and leave the Bedwas faithful staring at defeat. Newport’s defence coped with everything Bedwas could throw at them but they succumbed in the final minute. A kick through to the corner was mishandled by a Newport defender and James Richards was on hand to pounce on the loose ball to score a try. The missed conversion meant Bedwas were ahead by a single point with the game clock ticking down. Newport regained possession from the restart and went through a number of phases looking for a winning score of their own before finally losing possession and the game as the referee blew to end proceedings.

Bedwas have two away trips left, the first of which being a trip to Ebbw Vale on Sunday 6th May (kick-off 2-30pm).

Man of the match sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly was awarded to Adam Williams.

Official : Gwyn Morris (Wales)

Bedwas Newport