2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Newport 28 v 25 Bedwas
03 November 2017 - Rodney Parade, Newport

Match Report

Bedwas slip up at Newport

Bedwas went into last Friday night’s fixture at Rodney Parade looking to rediscover their league-leading swagger after a being routed by Pontypridd at home the week before, however, it was another frustrating match for the Wass.

The hosts started brightly with scrum-half Owen Davies finding space in the Bedwas line to dot down for a converted try after just two minutes. Bedwas however bit back, with Steffan Jones likewise finding space to set up Mike Callow for a try. The conversion ricocheted over via the post and it was honours even.

Another pair of tries were traded, Newport’s Hayden Palmer the recipient of a magnificent cross-field kick from fly-half Matt O’Brien, whilst Geraint Edmunds made the most of Bedwas’ early forward power. A couple of penalties were exchanged and at half-time only a missed Newport conversion separated the sides.

The Bedwas faithful were in buoyant mood early into the second half as George Lee touched down in the far corner. Jones missed a tricky conversion, but there was plenty for the away support to cheer for as the Bedwas forwards looked to have the edge. Despite this, Newport were yet again able to find space in the line and Chay Smith scored for the Black & Ambers.

Newport suffered a yellow card as prop Ken Dowdling was dismissed by the referee but Bedwas failed to take advantage. The Bedwas scrum seemed to lose momentum as 60th minute substitutions were made and the match degraded into a rather turgid affair.

Bedwas seemed to have done enough to salvage a draw as Steffan Jones nailed a 79th minute goal, but it was another frustrating affair as Newport were awarded an injury time penalty at the breakdown and Matt O’Brien gave his team the W.

Bedwas must now regroup for Saturday 11 November where they host Principality Premiership champions Merthyr RFC, 1.30pm KO. 

Attendance: 436

Newport Bedwas