Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404
2016/2017 Principality Premiership
RGC 1404 15 v 21 Bedwas
18 March 2017 - Parc Erias, Colwyn Bay

Match Report

Bedwas make huge strides towards top four finish.

Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 15 Bedwas RFC 21.

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 18th March 2017.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 A magnificent effort by the entire squad earned Bedwas the accolade of becoming only the second team to win at Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay this season and in doing so gaining another step towards a top four end of season play-off position.

With a strong wind at their backs the home side dominated early possession and the trusty boot of Jacob Botica edged them into an early three point lead after Bedwas were penalised at a ruck.

Botica had a second effort shortly after but his brave attempt from the half way line fell short.

Bedwas looked to counter but found it hard to gain territory. Alun Rees thought he’d given the visitors the lead after 21 minutes but his effort was ruled out by the referee and the home side cleared the danger from the ensuing penalty. Shortly afterwards RGC backrower Josh Leach was adjudged to have lifted a Bedwas player in the tackle and was given a ten minute rest by the referee for his misdemeanour. Bedwas sensed an opportunity but the throw in from the ensuing line out was lost and with it field position.

Not long after the home side returned to full complement Bedwas centre Mike Callow was adjudged to have slowed the ball down at a ruck and he too spent 10 minutes in ‘the cooler’. Bedwas dug deep to keep their hosts out and half time was reached with the hosts holding a slender three point advantage.

Much looked to depend on how Bedwas took advantage of the strong wind at their backs for the second period. Mike Callow made a break down the middle before Griffiths' deft kick to the right flank was collected by Pat Lewis who squeezed in for a try out wide. Powell’s conversion attempt drifted across the posts to safety.

RGC responded after a Bedwas clearance kick didn’t find touch and full back Afon Bradshaw ran a great line to cross, Botica’s conversion into the wind went wide.

Bedwas lifted their game and profited from RGC indiscipline at the scrum. Powell missed a penalty attempt to the right of the goal on 57 minutes but found his range shortly afterwards with two well struck kicks to edge Bedwas a single point ahead.

Shortly after the second penalty kick a Bedwas attack opened up the home defence and Joe Davies galloped through for a try out wide which Powell improved.

RGC didn’t allow their heads to drop and good interplay between backrower Josh Leach and right winger Sam Jones saw the latter race through for a try but crucially the conversion attempt went wide.

Powell settled Bedwas nerves with a third penalty goal with eight minutes left to play and Bedwas’ sound defence kept out the opposition to claim the vital win.

This win sees Bedwas move to second place in the tier one table with three games left to play. Bedwas have no game scheduled for next weekend but will then face Carmarthen Quins at the Brewery Field Bridgend in the Fosters Challenge Cup final on Saturday 1st April 2017. Details of travel arrangements will be announced on www.bedwasrfc.co.uk and the clubs Social Media accounts.

Attendance: 550

RGC 1404 Bedwas