Carmarthen Quins
2016/2017 Principality Premiership
Quins 7 v 24 Bedwas
11 February 2017 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Bonus point win puts Bedwas top of the table.

Carmarthen Quins RFC 7 Bedwas RFC 24

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 11th February 2017.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Matthew John’s late try earned Bedwas a bonus point win as another solid performance from the entire squad saw Bedwas move into top place of the Tier 1 split with two games played.

Carmarthen had first chance to put points on the board after Bedwas were penalised for not rolling away at a ruck, Craig Evans, however, pulled his effort wide. The Bedwas response was quick. A Carmarthen clearance kick was charged down by Richard Powell and Matthew John was fastest to the loose ball and touched down in the left hand corner. Powell’s tricky conversion from out wide went wide.

Shortly afterwards Powell had a penalty chance from just in his own half but his effort struck the left hand upright and bounced out of play.

Carmarthen were determined to get back into the game and did so after 18 minutes. Quick hands across the line exposed a narrow Bedwas defence and left wing Morgan Griffiths exploited the space to cross; Evans adding the conversion to put his side ahead.

Both sides looked to increase their lead but it was Bedwas who struck next. James Thomas made a fine break only to be hauled down 15 metres from the home line but the supporting Geraint Edmunds picked up the ball and ran through a posse of tacklers to restore Bedwas’ lead. Powell’s conversion extended the lead.

Both sides defended well and half time came with no further addition to the scores.

Bedwas dominated possession and territory for the opening 20 minutes of the second half but were unable to turn this dominance into points. However, keeping the pressure on eventually gained its reward with Robson Blake being driven over for a try, Powell’s conversion put his side 12 points ahead with 12 minutes left to play.

Bedwas were in no mood to surrender their hard earned lead and continued to dominate possession. Again patience was key as a great break in midfield by Jack Dixon put Matthew John clear for his sides’ fourth and bonus point try. Powell was wide with his conversion but there was insufficient time for the Quins to spoil the party.

Next Saturday (18th February) Bedwas take a break from league rugby with a home WRU National Cup Round Two game against Merthyr RFC. Kick-off is at 2-30pm.

Attendance: 200

Official : Gareth Newman (Wales)

Quins Bedwas