2015/2016 Premiership Challenge Cup
Bedwas 46 v 0 Newport
23 January 2016 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Six try Bedwas demolish Newport

Bedwas RFC 46 Newport RFC 0

Fosters Challenge Cup, Saturday 23rd January 2016

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Bedwas head coach Steve Law was a contented man after he side ran in six unanswered tries to send their Gwent rivals packing in a one sided Fosters Challenge Cup encounter and with it back to the top of their pool.

He said “The boys did all that we asked of them today and more importantly we have given ourselves a huge confidence boost ahead of next weekend’s league encounter (against the same side). We can expect significant changes to both teams’ line up next week, but we will take nothing for granted.”

Both sides took a while to get into their stride, the first try scoring opportunity falling to Bedwas wing Rory Budina but having done well to break through the Newport backline mishandled the ball diving over the try line and the chance was gone.

Bedwas shook off the disappointment and shortly afterwards Sam Feehan broke off the back of a scrum and barged over the line, James Dixon added the extras.

Mike Callow doubled the Bedwas advantage after finding a gap and diving over for a try, again Dixon converted. Bedwas continued to press and gained reward from a lineout as Keiron Jenkins burst through a static defence to cross the whitewash for what is a very rare but welcome reward for him. Dixon’s conversion attempt drifted across the face of the goal but the half time whistle arrived shortly afterwards with Bedwas 22 points ahead.

Newport were expected to respond but Bedwas had other ideas as full back Iwan Phillips burst through for his sides fourth and bonus point clinching try. Shortly afterwards any hopes of a Newport comeback were extinguished as Man of the Match Sam Feehan crashed over for his second try of the afternoon. Dixon added the extras.

Newport tried to at least get on the scoreboard but the home defence was determined to shut them out. On the rare occasions the visitors threatened they managed to lose possession and thus any try scoring opportunities.

Bedwas on the other hand kept the pressure on right up to the final whistle and this bought the reward of a try for Adam Williams, converted by Dixon.

As mentioned above the two sides meet again next Saturday in the Welsh Premiership Division, kick-off at the Bridgefield being 2-30pm once again.

Attendance: 300

Official : Adam Jones (Wales)

Bedwas Newport