2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 8 v 16 Ebbw Vale
26 March 2016 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Ebbw Vale

Match Report

Two try Ebbw go top after win in Bedwas monsoon

Bedwas RFC 8 Ebbw Vale RFC 16

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 26th March 2016.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Bedwas failed to score a try for the first time this season as two Ronny Kynes tries earned Ebbw a club record ninth successive win and, with Pontypridd in Swalec Cup action a top of the table position.

The game started under heavy rain clouds but it wasn’t dry for long as a strong wind and almost monsoon like rain saw conditions deteriorate as the game wore on.

Two long range, wind assisted Richard Powell penalties put Bedwas four points ahead in the first fifteen minutes before Ebbw launched attack after attack on the Bedwas line. Bedwas defended well before the pressure told and back rower Ronny Kynes dived over from close range, Iain Smerdon converting.

Bedwas fought back and Powell added another well taken penalty goal to narrow the gap.

The ‘Steelmen’ were not to be denied. Launching another assault at the Bedwas line home captain Dan Preece was sin binned for pulling down a maul. It was tough defending in the rain and wind with a full complement of players, it got even tougher with fourteen as Ebbw took full advantage and Kynes got his second try just before the interval. Iain Smerdon again adding the extras.

The weather continued to deteriorate making at a real war of attrition on the field. Powell added a fourth penalty goal to put Bedwas within eight points and a potential losing bonus point. Both sides defended heroically and try scoring opportunities were few and far between.

Ebbw Vale were reduced to fourteen men late in the game as their captain Damien Hudd was shown a straight red  card for an innocuous looking high tackle. Bedwas looked to take advantage but a determined defence prevented further scores. Deep into stoppage time Bedwas pounded the visitors’ line and moved the ball across the park for James Dixon to cross but the try was ruled out for a forward pass as the referee consulted one of his assistants.

On ruling out the try the referee immediately blew for time to the delight of the Ebbw Vale fans, players and management.

Bedwas are back in action on Sunday 3rd April when they travel to Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli, kick off 2-30pm.

Attendance: 400

Official : Gareth John (Wales)

Bedwas Ebbw Vale