2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 30 v 0 Bridgend
12 March 2016 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Top half finish hopes still alive

Bedwas RFC 30 Bridgend RFC 0

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 12th March 2016.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 The top of the table finish sought by the Bedwas management team is still a possibility after two late tries secured Bedwas a bonus point victory in a largely uninspiring game.

 Joe Davies opened the scoring after 10 minutes when he crashed over following good work by his pack colleagues, James Dixon added the extras to put Bedwas 8 points to the good. There was plenty of endeavour from both sides, but not much quality as both sides were guilty of failing to grasp the mettle and get the scoreboard moving.

The score remained at 8-0 for the following thirty four long minutes before James Dixon slotted a Bedwas penalty from in front of the posts.

The game changed around the hour mark as Bedwas made a raft of changes and almost immediately Mike Callow marked his introduction with a well worked try which Dixon converted to put his side 18 points to nil up.

Bedwas had further opportunities to increase the lead but failed to execute the chances.

With the clock ticking down Bedwas attacked again and Tom Rowlands crossed out wide after the ball was passed quickly through several pairs of hands to create the space. Dixon’s conversion went wide.

Bedwas thought they had scored a bonus point earning try when Joe Mills crashed through but the score was ruled out by the referee for crossing and it looked unlikely that there would be time for further scores. Bedwas had other ideas however, as replacement hooker Alun Rees got on the end of a fine cross field move to dive in at a corner for a try that went unconverted.

Next week (Sunday 19 March) Bedwas host Carmarthen Quins in the semi-final of the Fosters Challenge Cup, kick off 2-30pm.

Attendance: 300

Official : Leighton Hodges (Wales)

Bedwas Bridgend