2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 22 v 8 Pontypridd
28 November 2015 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas claim the spoils

Bedwas RFC 22 Pontypridd RFC 8

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 28 November 2015

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 On a very wet, windy and cold afternoon Bedwas utilised the elements better than their opponents to gain a deserved victory over high flying Pontypridd.

Both sides took time to adjust to the appalling weather but it was the home side who scored the first points on 12 minutes after going through the phase’s number 8 Sam Feehan stretched out through a pile of bodies to place the ball on the try line. Richard Powell added the conversion.

With the strong wind in their faces Pontypridd found it difficult to get any distance on their clearing kicks but a slippery ball saw try scoring opportunities at a premium and the game was evenly poised.

Bedwas turned defence into attack and seizing on a loose ball saw the visitors defence stretched and after 35 minutes Aled Brew slid in for a try in the right hand corner, Powell’s conversion was narrowly wide. Three minutes later and good Bedwas pressure saw Pontypridd concede a 5 metre scrum. The home eight ramped up the pressure and the referee didn’t hesitate to award a penalty try as the the visiting pack could not legally hold the rampant home pack.

Both sides came out for the second half in changed kit; Bedwas changing from their black kit to the red and green away colours and Pontypridd from Pink shirts to grey.

With the weather deteriorating the side which managed the conditions better was likely to emerge victors. Pontypridd got on the board after 53 minutes when Bedwas winger Mathew John was adjudged to have held back an opponent the referee eventually (after consulting one of his touch judges) awarding Pontypridd a penalty try and sin binning John.

Following their try Ponty battled hard to reduce the deficit further but Bedwas were in no mood to surrender their advantage and brought on fresh legs as players tired in the weather induced conditions. In the conditions playing ‘catch up rugby’ was a big ask and maybe Ponty were guilty of trying to force the issue on occasions when maybe ‘pick and drive’ rugby would have suited the conditions better.

With the clock running down Bedwas game management was precise and after going through many phases to keep possession the ball was eventually cleared to touch for Bedwas to clinch a vital win. Both sides should be congratulated for playing out an entertaining game in such appalling weather.

Next Saturday (5th December) Bedwas host Carmarthen Quins, kick off 2-30pm in what will be another tough fixture.