2014/2015 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 43 v 15 Neath
25 April 2015 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Seven try Bedwas send Neath packing

Bedwas RFC 43 Neath RFC 15

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 25th April 2015

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Bedwas ran in five first half tries as they put the Welsh All Blacks to the sword and in doing so earned a final position of fifth in the Welsh Premiership, Cardiff’s one extra win earning them the fourth spot despite Bedwas’s better points difference.

Both sides took a while to settle before Neath outside half Joel Matavesi succeeded with a speculative wind assisted drop goal to put his side ahead with ten minutes played.

Bedwas hit back almost immediately, scrum half Tom Rowlands crossing for a try converted by Jack Maynard. Five minutes later seventeen year old and with Neath down to fourteen men following prop forward Owen Jordan’s sin binning George Gasson making his Bedwas debut ran a great line and crossed wide left of the posts, Maynard’s conversion hit an upright and rebounded to safety.

Bedwas camped on the visitor’s line with a series of scrums but the elusive score would not come despite the host’s dominance in the tight.

Bedwas continued to dominate possession and were rewarded with a second try by young Gasson, converted by Maynard and a great break from his own half by Arron Pinches was finished off by the supporting Lewis Hudd to bring up the four try bonus point. Neath heads visibly dropped and Bedwas added a fifth try just before half time through Stuart Thomas, Maynard adding the extras for a 31points to 3 advantage at the break.

Neath came out for the second half looking determined to get back into their game but any notion they had of a comeback was quickly stubbed out as another 17 year old replacement, this time Connor Edwards crossed for the home sides sixth try of the afternoon.

Neath replied via a long range effort from replacement Dafydd Howells who ran in from his own half before Neath again found themselves down to fourteen men with winger Jamie Davies yellow carded for a ruck offence. Neath added a second try just after Davies’s departure as Tom James intercepted a Bedwas pass and raced 80 metres for a score under the posts, Matavesi adding the conversion.

Bedwas were not going to be denied as Mike Callow finished a move he had started for the home sides’ seventh try of the afternoon, Maynard adding the extras.

With 20 minutes remaining and the win assured the game somewhat petered out although Bedwas could and should have added to their score try scoring chances were not taken.

With the season finished the transfer merry go round will now move into gear as all clubs look to bolster their teams ahead of next season. This inevitably means that some will be moving on and to those players who are thank you for your efforts and best wishes for your future careers. News of the new signings for Bedwas RFC will be posted on the club website once confirmed.

Attendance: 350

Official : Greg Morgan (Wales)

Bedwas Neath