2014/2015 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 33 v 16 Bridgend
07 March 2015 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Second half effort earns bonus point

Bedwas RFC 33 Bridgend RFC 16

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 07 March 2015.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Four second half tries saw Bedwas claim a bonus point win as they overturned a ten point half time deficit to keep their play-off hopes alive.

 With the wind at their backs Bridgend took an early lead from James Dixon’s penalty. It got worse for Bedwas five minutes later as a Bedwas clearing kick was caught by Adam Williams who’s pass put co-centre Chris Lewis in the clear to run in from deep past a static defence.

Bridgend attempted to turn the screw and Owen Howe’s first long range penalty attempt from the half way line fell short but his second attempt from the opposite side of the field was successful to put his side thirteen points ahead. Richard Powell pulled three points back with a close range penalty shortly afterwards but a second attempt on the stroke of half time was unsuccessful.

Play was evenly contested at the start of the second half before Bedwas made several changes including both prop forwards being substituted. It didn’t take long for the changes to pay off as Brynley Toms got on the end of a Richard Powell pass to bundle over for his first Bedwas try. Powell’s conversion drifted wide. Owen Howe slotted a penalty to increase the Bridgend lead. Powell added a penalty to reduce the arrears before Bedwas got fully back into the game when Harley Thomson crossed out wide to the right of the posts. Confusion reigned as the match officials awarded the conversion despite Bridgend protests that the ball had not dissected the posts.

Shortly afterwards Bridgend were reduced to fourteen men as centre Adam Williams was sin-binned for a deliberate knock on and Powell accepted the offer of the three points to increase the home sides lead to five points. Bedwas again upped the ante and Lewis Hudd broke through for a try improved upon by Powell for a twelve point advantage with only three minutes left.

As the clock ran down Bedwas thought they had clinched the bonus point try as Harley Thomson put Mathew John in for a clear run to the try line but celebrations were premature as he was ruled to have not grounded the ball. Bedwas were not to be denied however as with seconds left of injury time Stuart Thomas crossed in the left hand corner to complete a stirring comeback. Jack Maynard’s conversion attempt went wide but it mattered not as the game was won, a result which had looked unlikely at half time.

Bedwas take a break from league rugby on the weekend of 14 March before returning to action with a game at Llandovery on Friday 20 March, kick off 7-30pm.

Attendance: 500

Official : Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

Bedwas Bridgend