Carmarthen Quins
2012/2013 SWALEC Cup
Quins 23 v 21 Bedwas
16 February 2013 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Indiscipline proves costly

Carmarthen Quins RFC 23 Bedwas RFC 21

Swalec Cup Round 2, Saturday 16 February 2012

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Despite winning the try count by 3 tries to 2 Bedwas indiscipline (including two yellow cards) saw an end to the Swalec Cup adventure for another season.

Bedwas were forced into a late change with Stuart Thomas arriving just before kick off Ethan Davies took over full back duties with Thomas dropping to the bench.

 The game started at a furious pace and with Bedwas having to defend as the Quins were quickly into their stride. It came as a pleasant surprise then that Bedwas would score the first try after 5 minutes; the ball was worked right for Rory Budina to score a fine try. Lewis Robling added the conversion.

Carmarthen regrouped and kept Bedwas on the back foot before levelling the scores via a penalty try after the Bedwas scrum was shunted backwards. Jack Maynard added the conversion.

Bedwas regained the lead after 24 minutes when Mattravers ran through from 25 meters out for a try, Robling again added the conversion. The Quins continued to press but the Bedwas defence held firm but were undone two minutes before the break when prop Rob Evans was on the end of a flowing move to cross for a try. Maynard again made no mistake with his conversion attempt. It got worse for Bedwas though when Dan Preece was sin binned for tackling a Carmarthen player off the ball in the build up to the try.

The second half started much as the first half ended with Carmarthen having the lion’s share of possession and territory. The home side took the lead for the first time after 53 minutes via a penalty from Maynard after Bedwas were adjudged off side.

Bedwas were not looking like lying down and stormed back into the lead. With the referee playing a penalty advantage to Bedwas scrum half Tom Rowlands kept the ball alive and Mattravers crossed for his second try of the afternoon, Robling again converting.

Maynard saw a penalty goal attempt hit a post but was on target with his next attempt after Bedwas were penalised at a ruck, Phil Sargent sin binned by referee Nigel Owens for hands in.

Bedwas held on to their one point margin but didn’t execute passing moves as well as they can and were unable to add to their slender margin. Jack Maynard delivered the knock out after 76 minutes from another successful penalty kick after Bedwas were again indisciplined at a ruck. Despite frantic Bedwas attempts to get back into the game Carmarthen held on for a deserved victory.

Its back to the bread and butter of the Principality Premiership next outing as Bedwas entertain Cross Keys RFC on Friday 22 February 2012, kick off 7-15pm.

Attendance: 300

Official : Nigel Owens (Wales)

Quins Bedwas