2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 23 v 25 Bedwas
09 March 2013 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Never say die attitude brings victory

Cardiff RFC 23 Bedwas RFC 25

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 09 March 2013.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 A late Ethan Davies conversion along with the ‘never say die’ spirit of the Bedwas team saw the Bridge Field team consolidate second position in the Premiership.

 Both sides started at a terrific pace but it was Cardiff who drew first blood via a Joe Griffin penalty after 12 minutes. Ethan Davies was on target with a penalty of his own four minutes later to level the scores.

Bedwas stormed in front after Lewis Robling broke down the right and a good run by Lewis Hudd saw him cross in the corner. Ethan Davies added the conversion with aplomb. Cardiff were not going to be denied for long as Bedwas failed to claim the restart and after a break by Darren Ryan saw the ball recycled by Griffin who put left winger Powell in for an unconverted try.

Davies added a second Bedwas penalty to see his side 13-8 ahead at the half time break.

Cardiff’s Griffin was sin binned early in the second half for a ruck offence and kicking duties were taken on by Ryan who successfully landed a penalty opportunity to reduce the arrears to two points.

Bedwas extended their lead after 49 minutes courtesy of a piece of Ethan Davies opportunism. With Cardiff expecting a penalty goal attempt from the edge of their 22 Davies caught them cold with a quick tap before diving over for a try. He was unsuccessful with his conversion.

Once again Cardiff fought hard to get back into the game and they gained a try when Stuart Thomas was caught in his in goal area by Griffin who squeezed in for a try. Cardiff continued to pile on the pressure and seized upon Bedwas mistakes before right wing Jack Phillips crossed out wide, Griffin expertly converted for a 23-18 advantage with ten minutes left.

Bedwas refused to lie down and spurred on by fresh legs in the pack put the home side under pressure.

With the clock ticking down Bedwas earnt a scrum twenty metres from the Cardiff line. With replacement prop forward Smout injured Cardiff called for a passive scrum. Sam Feehan picked the ball up from the base of the scrum and ran hard before stretching out to touch down and level the scores. Ethan Davies was the coolest man in the house as he stepped up and kicked the conversion with the last kick of the game.

Official : Simon Rees (Wales)

Cardiff Bedwas