2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 20 v 13 Bridgend
26 December 2012 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Bedwas see off stern Bridgend challenge

Bedwas RFC 20 Bridgend RFC 13

Principality Welsh Premiership, Wednesday 26 December 2012.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell

Bedwas weathered hail storms, driving rain, a muddy pitch and a determined Bridgend side to extend their lead at the top of the Welsh Premiership.

 Bridgend dominated the first half in most facets of the game taking the lead after ten minutes via the boot of Lewis Williams after 10 minutes after Bedwas were caught offside. The wind at their backs was certainly an advantage especially when one of the many very heavy showers started.

Seven minutes they extended their lead when a Bedwas clearance kick was charged down and Steve Winn crossed for a try following a kick and chase, Williams added the conversion.

This seemed to kick start Bedwas into action, Bedwas gained territory in a rare foray into the Bridgend half, before the visitors were adjudged to kill the ball on the floor allowing Ethan Davies a penalty chance he converted.

Williams added a second penalty in injury time to put his side 13 points to 3 to the good at the break, at this stage a Bedwas victory looked to be a forlorn hope such was the visitors dominance.

With the wind at their backs for the second half Bedwas looked to reduce the arrears. Davies missed a penalty goal chance after a scrum offence before Williams missed with a penalty at the other end.

The pivotal game changing moment came after 55 minutes. Bedwas earnt a scrum on the visitor’s 5 metre line. The home 8 got the nudge and referee Chris Williams surprisingly signalled penalty try to the astonishment of most onlookers, Ethan Davies added the conversion.

Spurred on Bedwas began to dominate possession and territory. From a scrum replacement scrum half Tom Rowlands broke through for a try, Davies added the conversion to Bedwas ahead for the first time in the game with eleven minutes left.

Bedwas were not to be denied and all fifteen stuck manfully to their defensive duties as conditions worsened following yet more rain. Ethan Davies’s seventy sixth minute penalty goal ensured Bedwas’s unbeaten league record remained intact and with Llandovery losing at home to Carmarthen Quins Bedwas start the New Year six points clear at the top of the table.

Next up Bedwas entertain Aberavon RFC on Saturday 05 January 2013, kick off 2-30pm.

Attendance: 400

Official : Chris Williams (Wales)

Bedwas Bridgend