2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 30 v 9 Newport
30 November 2012 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Another good night's work

Bedwas RFC 30 Newport RFC 9

Principality Welsh Premiership, Friday 30 November 2012.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell

 On a cold but windless night Bedwas entertained local rivals Newport in what was expected to be a full bloodied derby game.

 Newport took an early lead via the boot of Scott Sneddon after Bedwas were penalised at a ruck, back chat from the Bedwas ranks marched the kick 10 metres nearer goal making his task easier.

Bedwas looked to attack from the restart and following a Bedwas scrum on the visitors’ 25 metre line quick hands spread the ball to Ross Wardle who was hauled down just short of the line. Bedwas didn’t have to wait long to get on the board however, as Newport were adjudged offside and Powell kicked the penalty.

Newport were ahead again soon after as the home side conceded a penalty for a line out offence, Sneddon again successful with his kick. Newport upped the pressure but the home defence held them out.

 Bedwas were seemingly dealt a huge blow on 26 minutes when dead-eye kicker Powell left the field with an arm injury. His replacement Ethan Davies was straight into the action and added a penalty goal two minutes after entering the fray.

 Following a long injury delay for a head injury to Newport’s Sneddon following a collision, Bedwas extended their lead via Davies’s boot after Newport were adjudged off side. Neither side was yielding and defences held strong before Davies added a third penalty goal on the stroke of half time from in front of the posts after Newport were penalised for a deliberate knock on.

Newport reduced arrears early in the second half after Bedwas were penalised for wheeling a scrum, Tom Hancock kicking the penalty.

 The response from the Bedwas team was decisive.  The home pack turned up the heat from a close range scrum and earnt a penalty try as the visitor’s forwards buckled under huge pressure. Ethan Davies competently added the conversion and shortly afterwards a penalty to put Bedwas 22-9 ahead with 47 minutes gone.

Newport tried to get back into the game and Mike Poole was unlucky not to score after a fine chip and chase as he grounded the ball over the dead ball line.

Bedwas made certain of victory with 15 minutes left on the clock. A Scott Williams break earnt Bedwas a scrum 30 metres from goal. Mattravers made the hard yards off the back of the scrum, moving the ball to Tom Rowlands who set up Matthew Pewtner to cross in the corner, Davies missed the conversion. Matthew John came close to extending the lead from the restart but was tackled close to the line.

With just over six minutes left Bedwas captain Simon Grainger was yellow carded for killing the ball but the remaining fourteen dug deep to snuff out the visitors attacks. Davies added his fifth penalty just before the final whistle to seal another win for Bedwas and maintain the top of the table position.

Attendance: 500

Official : Simon Rees (Wales)

Bedwas Newport