Carmarthen Quins
2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Quins 17 v 18 Bedwas
23 November 2012 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Bedwas clinch it late

Carmarthen Quins RFC 17 Bedwas RFC 18

Principality Welsh Premiership, Friday 23 November 2012.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell

 Richard Powell’s winning penalty goal won the game for Bedwas to maintain their top of the table position, but the whole team deserve credit for ‘dogging out’ the win in what was a tight, fiercely contested match.

 Both teams players hit the rucks hard as they looked to gain that all important break through but for the first quarter of the game defences were on top.

Quins broke the deadlock on 26 minutes swift hands putting lock forward Hadyn Pugh in at the corner, Dixon’s conversion went wide.

Bedwas hit back within two minutes when Richard Powell slotted his first penalty of the evening, four minutes later James Dixon added a penalty of his own after Bedwas were adjudged offside.

Bedwas refused to lie down and got their reward with Powell slotting two further penalties before the interval to put Bedwas 9 points to 8 ahead.

 Within two minutes of the restart Powell had extended Bedwas’s lead with another penalty before once again both sides cancelled each other out.

Dixon’s second penalty after 62 minutes narrowed Bedwas’s advantage to one point before Kristian Gay was sin binned for a ruck offence. Crucially for Bedwas Chris Banfield who had taken over kicking duties was wide with his penalty attempt. He made amends a minute later to put his side 14-12 ahead.

Bedwas shrugged off the loss of a man and went one point ahead again with 11 minutes left via Powell’s accurate kicking.

Both sides were still working hard but try scoring opportunities were few and far between. With four minutes left on the clock Banfield added a penalty goal somewhat controversially awarded for a high tackle to put the Quins 17-15 ahead. Bedwas didn’t throw in the towel and pressed hard for a score. The gained their reward when awarded a penalty in front of the sticks on the edge of the home 25 metre line. Powell coolly slotted the kick and the referee blew for full time to the joy of the Bedwas camp and despair of the home faithful.

Next time out Bedwas entertain local rivals Newport on Friday 30 November, kick off 7-15pm.

Attendance: 150

Official : Wayne Davies (Wales)

Quins Bedwas