2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 30 v 16 Llanelli
22 September 2012 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Seven days + Three wins = 14 points

Bedwas RFC 30 Llanelli RFC 16

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 22 September 2012.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell

Bedwas sent West Walian rivals packing as they recorded their third win in seven days in probably their best start to a league campaign in recent memory.

Llanelli took the lead after 1 minute courtesy of a Jordan Williams penalty after the home side were penalised for holding back a player back in front of the posts.

Bedwas hit back from an attacking line out. Scott Williams made a break and set up a try for number 8 Sam Feehan who powered through, Powell converted, and then added a penalty to put his 10-3 ahead after Llanelli were penalised at a ruck.

Llanelli hit back with a second Williams penalty after Bedwas were adjudged offside. Bedwas defended with great resolve before Llanelli wing Bowdy Davies scored a good try, Williams adding the conversion. Llanelli laid siege on the Bedwas line as half time approached but Bedwas defended resolutely. Such was Bedwas’s resolve that the visitors ran out of patience and Williams’s attempted drop goal was miscued and went wide.

Just before the interval Powell kicked a penalty goal from the half way line after Llanelli were penalised for holding on and scores were locked at 13-13.

Bedwas were ahead within a minute of the restart. Ross Wardle made a powerful break down the right and put Jack Dixon in for an unconverted try.

Bedwas resisted Llanelli attacks before a good sweeping move involving backs and forwards saw Ross Wardle cross out wide, again Powell’s conversion went wide.

Llanelli were still looking to run the ball whenever they could but Bedwas resisted everything thrown at them.

Williams added a further penalty for Llanelli and then with Bedwas a man short due to Matthew John’s sin binning tried to turn the screw but Bedwas continued to defend heroically.

Rory Budina picked up a Llanelli break before sprinting 50 metres but a Llanelli defender did well to get back and snuff out the threat. The visitors then had a penalty chance from 30 metres as the tried to reduce the deficit, Williams’ effort went wide.

Bedwas wrapped up the win on 78 minutes. Simon Grainger broke off the back of a scrum, sold the visiting defence an outrageous dummy and touched down under the sticks. Powell added the conversion and Bedwas had secured their second bonus point win in 7 days.

Next Saturday (29 September) Bedwas visit Aberavon, kick off 2-30pm.


Attendance: 400

Official : Ian Davies (Wales)

Bedwas Llanelli