2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 34 v 17 Swansea
15 September 2012 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas delight in bonus point victory

Bedwas RFC 34 Swansea RFC 17

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 15 September 2012.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell

 A brace of tries for Ross Wardle and Matthew John earnt Bedwas a bonus point victory over Swansea. Bedwas made two changes in the pack, Phill Sargent coming back into the back row in place of Simon Grainger and Kyle Maiden at lock in place of Josh Tyler. Behind the scrum Ryan Owen made his first appearance since re-signing and experienced Scott Williams made his debut at centre.

  The match started at a fast pace, Swansea first on the board courtesy of a Roy Jones try, converted by Sam Davies with only 8 minutes gone.

  Bedwas tried to get back into the game but playing into the breeze few chances materialised. Swansea were on top at this stage as dominated possession and territory.

  However after 25 minutes a Bedwas tap penalty by Tom Rowlands saw the ball moved quickly out wide and Matthew John crossed. Powell converted from wide out.

 It got better for Bedwas fine minutes later. A Stuart Thomas break was backed up by Ross Wardle who burst thorough several tackles to run in from 30metres, Powell converted. Swansea tried to come back and Stuart Thomas again shone when he bundled Swansea centre Ben Roberts into touch to snuff out an attack.

 With the wind at their back for the second Bedwas kicked on. Although Davies pulled a penalty back for Swansea Powell added a long range penalty after 49 minutes to increase the Bedwas lead. Whatever Swansea could throw at them was countered by the Bedwas defence. Stuart Thomas was in particularly fine form against one of his former clubs. He tackled anyone that came near him and acrobatically climbed to take high balls as Swansea tried to get into the game.

A scrum in centre field 30metres out led to Wardle’s second of the afternoon after another lung busting run saw Bedwas looking in a healthy position, again Powell converted from wide out.

Swansea pulled a try back with 10 minutes left when lock Rhodri Hughes crossed, converted by Davies. Swansea had a penalty goal chance from 40 metres into the win as they looked to close the gap to within 7 points for a losing bonus point but Davies’s attempt went wide.  Powell, however, eased Bedwas nerves with another long range penalty goal to restore a 10 point margin between the two sides.

 Bedwas stuck to their task and Matthew John clinched the four try bonus in the dying second with a deft chip and chase before powering through two defenders for a under the posts. Powell added the conversion for a well deserved win.

The depth and resolve of the Bedwas squad will now be put to the test with a visit to Newport on Wednesday 19 September (kick off 7-15pm) before Llanelli visit Bedwas two days later, kick off 2-30pm.


Official : Kelvin Shorte (Wales)

Bedwas Swansea