2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 22 v 16 Quins
01 September 2012 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Bedwas start with a welcome win

Bedwas RFC 22 Carmarthen Quins 16

Principality Welsh Premiership Saturday 01 September 2012

Match report by John Meredith, photographs by Ian Lovell

 An injury time try from replacement flanker Robert Carter saw Bedwas just pip Carmarthen at the death and end their eight match losing streak.

Bedwas fielded ten new signins in the starting line up including a whole new front row of Dan Preece and Kristian Gay at prop (formerly of Cardiff) and returning hooker Ben Roberts. Kyle Maiden at lock and Dragons Academy man James Benjamin completed the new additions in the pack. Behind the scrum only Wardle and Powell from last years backs started with srum half Tom Rowlands, centre Jack Dixon, wings Michael Poole and Matthew John and full back Ethan Davies all made their debuts.

Both sides started at a fast pace, Carmarthen’s James Dixon giving his side an early lead from a penalty. Bedwas hit back two minutes later with a penalty goal by Richard Powell.

 Powell should have increased the Bedwas lead after 8 minutes. A quickly taken Bedwas tap penalty was illegally stopped by number 8 Andy Thomas who was despatched to the sin bin for not retreating 10 metres. Powell’s kick into the wind from 40 metres went wide.

Both sides’ defences were working hard and good pressure from the visitors saw Dixon slot a further penalty. Further pressure saw Bedwas prop Dan Preece sin binned for ‘killing the ball’ but Dixons penalty shot went wide. Neither side could find space for a try although Dixon added a further penalty goal as the half petered out with neither side looking like crossing the white wash.

  With the wind behind them for the second half Bedwas set about reducing the deficit. Two Powell penalties after 49 and 54 minutes saw the home side level before a third penalty on the hour saw Bedwas ahead for the first time.

 Carmarthen hit back when pressure eventually saw the Bedwas line broken and Rheon James crossed under the posts, Dixon adding the conversion.

Carmarthen were caught offside from the restart and Powell added the penalty to reduce the arrears to 15-16.

At this stage a Bedwas win looked unlikely. with the clock ticking down Enter Robert Carter. Coming off the bench in the 79th minute he latched onto a great pass from skipper Phill Sargent after Bedwas had won an attacking line out he galloped away from the covering defence to score with his first touch. Powell added the conversion.

There was still time for Carmarthen to try to win the game but their attempts to run the ball from two late penalties were countered by the Bedwas defence.

Man of the Match: Kristian Gay

Official : Jason Bessant (Wales)

Bedwas Quins