2012/2013 British & Irish Cup
Bedwas 9 v 17 Neath
12 January 2013 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Neath claim the bragging rights

Bedwas RFC 9 Neath RFC 17

British and Irish Cup, Pool 2, Saturday 12 January 2013.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

Three Neath tries were enough to secure the bragging rights in a well contested game on a sticky Bedwas pitch.

With neither side unlikely to progress to the next stage of the competition both head coaches chose to give opportunities to fringe players. The Bedwas side saw a welcome return from injury for Phill Sargent. Captain for the day Stuart Thomas started at outside half with Matthew Minty at full back. Josh Jones a local boy currently playing for Senghenydd RFC made his debut at centre.

With the wind at their backs Bedwas started brightly and took a second minute lead via a Lewis Hudd penalty. Neath dominated territory thereafter but Bedwas defended well. Hudd increased Bedwas’s lead after 26 minutes with a well struck goal.

Neath lifted the tempo again and number 8 Steffan Jones was driven over from close range. Langdon’s conversion went wide. Hudd added a third Bedwas penalty after 33 minutes but they could not prevent a try from left winger Chris Morgans who crossed out wide following a neat kick through by Langdon. Langdon’s conversion attempt into the wide went wide.

The second half became a bit of a slog with the pitch cutting up after taking a beating from the rain of the past month.

Bedwas had chances to score but were not accurate enough with the final pass and chances came to nothing.

Neath replacement hooker Alun Wyn Davies was driven over for the match clinching try on 69 minutes and although the conversion was missed Bedwas could not make up the deficit despite a steady stream of fresh legs from the replacement bench.

Bedwas travel to group winners Bedford Blues next Saturday for their final game in this season’s British and Irish Cup, kick off 3-00pm.

Attendance: 245

Official : Justin Williams (Wales)

Bedwas Neath