2011/2012 Principality Premiership
Llandovery 16 v 12 Bedwas
21 January 2012 - Church Bank, Llandovery

Match Report

Sterling second half effort earns bonus point

Llandovery RFC 16 Bedwas RFC 12

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 21 January 2012.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell

  A storming second half by Bedwas was not quite enough to gain victory over table topping Llandovery on Saturday.

  Current league leaders Llandovery started with a strong wind at their backs and immediately put Bedwas on the back foot. The home side took an early lead via the boot of outside half James Garland after Bedwas were penalised at a ruck. Bedwas fought to get back into the game but forays into the home half were thwarted by errors.

  Llandovery attacked at speed and increased their lead with a well worked try courtesy of centre Adam Warren who ghosted through the visiting defence and touched down under the sticks. Garland easily added the conversion.

  The Bedwas pack was going well and putting their opponents under pressure in the tight and in the loose but the home side resisted all attempts to break their line.

  Just before half time Garland had an opportunity to increase his sides’ lead but his penalty attempt hit the crossbar and rebounded into a pair of Bedwas hands and was cleared to touch and the referee blew for half time.

  With the strong wind at their backs Bedwas were immediately on the offensive. Powell notched a penalty early on after the Drovers were adjudged offside. Further Bedwas pressure resulted in a second penalty and again Powell was accurate.

 Bedwas dominated this period of play and the forwards put in a series of huge hits on their counterparts to restrict them to few opportunities to increase their lead. Bedwas dominance was rewarded with a further Powell penalty after the home side snuffed out a home attack illegally.

  The Drovers weathered the storm and edged four points ahead courtesy of a Garland penalty before Powell added his fourth of the afternoon to narrow the gap to one point once more.

  With 79 minutes played Garland kicked his 3rd penalty of the game to put his side four points ahead with only injury time left to play.

A strong Bedwas attack down the left saw the ball moved to Ross Wardle who looked odds on to score in the corner before being tackled a metre short of the line by a home forward. Llandovery regained possession, cleared their lines and the referee signalled the game was over.

Bedwas man of the match: Simon Grainger

Next Saturday 28 January Bedwas make a return visit to Pandy Park, Cross Keys for a Swalec Cup tie, kick off 2-30pm.

Official : Greg Morgan (Wales)

Llandovery Bedwas