2011/2012 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 42 v 12 Tonmawr
17 December 2011 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Its a six try blitz as Bedwas see off Tonmawr

Bedwas RFC 42 Tonmawr RFC 12

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 17 December 2011.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell.


 Bedwas ran in six tries in difficult conditions at a cold Bridge Field to pile on the misery for winless Tonmawr who have now gone fourteen games without a win.

 Bedwas hoped to continue from where they left off last week at Newport but made several changes. Royce Cadman returned to the second row after injury, Kristian Owen came in on the wing in place of Tom Watkins, Aaron Fowler replacing the injured Kieran Crawford at hooker. Darren Ryan started at centre and the Dragons Jonathon Evans came in at scrum half. With captain Phill Sargent still recovering from an eye infection Deri Mattravers kept the captains armband.


 A heavy downpour before kick off made conditions difficult underfoot but Bedwas started quickly and Owen crossed after only three minutes, Powell missed the conversion from out wide. Tonmawr hit back via a Richards penalty after Bedwas were adjudged offside before Powell added a penalty for Bedwas, after Tonmawr were penalised for a ruck offence.

It was all Bedwas at this stage and after a sublime kick to the corner by Feehan Howells caught the ball on the full and crossed in the corner, Powell’s conversion successful from a narrow angle but most of the plaudits must go to Feehan for the execution of a fine kick.

Tonmawr battled away and gained a penalty in front of the posts, as Bedwas were again adjudged offside and Richards took the three points.

The visitors had chances to get over the whitewash notably when Powell’s long pass was intercepted but Roets knocked on with the line in sight.

Bedwas extended their lead following a 5 metre scrum, Sam Feehan bursting through to touch down under the sticks, Powell adding the conversion. Tonmawr battled in vain with Luke Richards expertly directing operations but could not breach the home defence, their only reward being two Richards penalties.

Two minutes before halftime Gustafson’s try earnt Bedwas a bonus point and a commanding 27-12 interval lead, Powell’s conversion going wide.

The second half saw plenty of endeavour from both sides but neither could add to their score as the game became a bit of a slog in the heavy conditions. Both sides made mistakes and the game was a poor spectacle.

  Powell increased the home lead with a long range penalty before Lampitt made a good break to set Powell away for a try to put the result beyond doubt. Powell easily added the two points from in front of the posts.

 The game suddenly came back to life, replacement Hutcherson burst through galloping 40 metres only to knock on in the act of scoring, from the resulting 5 metre scrum Bedwas regained possession and replacement scrum half Josh Guy dived over for a try. Powell missed the conversion, but victory by 42 points to 12 was assured to move Bedwas up to 7th in the league table.

 Bedwas are next in action on Boxing Day when they travel to Pontypool; kick off 2-30pm.


Star Man Sam Feehan, outstanding in the loose and in defence



Official : Greg Morgan (Wales)

Bedwas Tonmawr