2011/2012 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 22 v 19 Llandovery
15 October 2011 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Third successive win for Bedwas

Bedwas RFC 22 Llandovery RFC 19

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 15 October 2011.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell.

A last kick of the game penalty by Bedwas outside half Richard Powell clinched victory for the home side in what at times was an uninspiring encounter.

Llandovery were early leaders courtesy of two James Garland penalties, all Bedwas offensive efforts snuffed out by a determined visitors defence. The Drovers should have extended their lead but Garland squandered two further penalty chances. In terms of possession and territory the home side were struggling to get a toe old in the game.

 Bedwas came to life on a rare foray into the visitors 22. Tommy Watkins broke down the right and the following up Stuart Thomas pounced on a loose ball for a real smash and grab try, Powell’s conversion drifted wide. Suddenly it was all Bedwas and after Llandovery lock Shaun Jones was sin binned for a line out offence to put is side on the back foot. Bedwas drove forward from a 5 meter scrum after a Bedwas attack had been adjudged ‘held up’ and with the whitewash beckoning Jake Cooper knocked on and the half time whistle sounded.  Bedwas 5 Llandovery 6

Starting the second half a man down did not deter the Drovers and Bedwas struggled to get any fluency. Replacement Cerith Rees added a penalty to put his side 5-9 ahead. The lead was further stretched by Sean Miles’s try under the sticks, improved on by Rees. Again the visitors had a further try scoring opportunity but instead of passing out wide Jacobs elected to go inside and the attack was defended, but at this stage Bedwas looked down and out.

Two tries in as many minutes turned the game Bedwas’s way. First McBurney showed good speed to cross in the corner after Bedwas turned defence into attack and from the restart Stuart Thomas burst through at speed to put supporting Deri Mattravers in for a try. Powell converted both and suddenly Bedwas were 19-16 up.

Both sides continued to attack but a draw looked the likely outcome when Rees slotted a penalty for Llandovery after a Bedwas ruck offence in front of the posts.

It was not to be though as on the final attack of the game great pressure from the home side resulted in a penalty which Powell successfully kicked before the referee blew for time.

Next week Bedwas make the short journey to Sardis Road, Pontypridd, kick-off 2-30pm.


Bedwas Men of the Match:  Joint award Stuart Thomas for some penetrating running and Richard Powell for holding his nerve at the death to convert the penalty chance.

Official : Ian Davies (Wales)

Bedwas Llandovery