2011/2012 Principality Premiership
Tonmawr 30 v 37 Bedwas
01 October 2011 - Whitworth Ground, Tonmawr

Match Report

Bedwas gain first win of the season

Tonmawr RFC 30 Bedwas RFC 37

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 01 October 2011.

Match report by John Meredith, photography courtesy of Roddy Wood.

 On a very warm early Autumn afternoon Bedwas travelled to the Whitworth ground, Tonmawr looking for their first win of the season against the only side below them in the league table.

Bedwas Director of Rugby Steve Law shuffled his pack and made several changes from the previous week’s game against Cardiff.

  Tonmawr started brightly putting the visitors under intense pressure and should have drawn first blood but a Steve Lewis penalty goal attempt went wide after 8 minutes. Bedwas hit back with a penalty of their own by Richard Powell after Bedwas gained territory into the home half. A second penalty on halfway kicked to touch saw Bedwas centre Rhys Howells make a superb 50 metre run only to be tackled just short of the line. Bedwas continued to attack and after stealing line out ball on their opponent’s throw Rory Wood scored a try out wide, Powell adding the extras. Bedwas upped the pressure and were rewarded by a second try by winger Kristian Owen, Powell again converting.

Tonmawr got on the score board after 30 minutes when Luke Richards slotted over a penalty following a Bedwas ruck offence. Bedwas were not finished again and another good move saw the final pass inaccurate and Tonmawr cleared to touch. Powell added a second penalty after Tonmawr were called offside for a 20-3 advantage. This was increased by a second Rory Woods try following good play from Mattravers, Powell again accurate with his kick.

Tonmawr were not throwing in the towel and following a period of possession the ball was moved wide for centre Steve Winn to cross the whitewash for an unconverted try to make the half time score Tonmawr 8 Bedwas 27.

 Tonmawr reduced arrears early in the second half as Luke Richards added a penalty goal before Bedwas squandered a further try scoring opportunity, although Powell added a penalty after 62 minutes to increase Bedwas’s lead. Play became scrappy for a time but Bedwas regained their rhythm and Tommy Watkins crossed out wide, Powell added the conversion to put Bedwas 37-11 ahead with 12 minutes remaining.

Bedwas must have thought the points were ‘in the bag’. Not so the home side as with 8 minutes remaining Steff Andrews crossed for an unconverted try, followed by further tries by Gareth Beer, and a second for Steve Winn both converted by Luke Richards saw Tonmawr claim a four try bonus point and a losing bonus point.
Bedwas supporters and management will be pleased at finally recording a win but concerned at the way the team lost shape and composure for the final 15 minutes to let their opponents back into the game.

Next Saturday (8th October) sees Bedwas entertain Carmarthen Quins at the Bridge Field, kick off 2-30pm.


Bedwas Man of the match: Richard Powell, kicked excellently all afternoon for a personal tally of 17 points.

Official : Simon Rees (Wales)

Tonmawr Bedwas