Carmarthen Athletic
2010/2011 SWALEC Cup
Carmarthen Ath 7 v 18 Bedwas
05 February 2011 - Trinity Fields, Carmarthen

Match Report

Bedwas battle through to the next round.


Carmarthen Athletic RFC 7 Bedwas RFC 18

SWALEC Cup round 2, Saturday 5 February 2011.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell.

Two tries in two second half minutes saw Bedwas progress to the third round of the Swalec Cup after Athletic had defended doggedly and given a committed performance that for a while looked as though it may take the spoils.

Bedwas played the first half up the slope and into a stiff breeze and were on the back foot as the first scoring opportunity went to the home side but the penalty goal attempt went wide. Bedwas hit back, Sam Feehan driving forward earning his side a penalty which Stuart Thomas converted to put Bedwas 3-0 up.

Carmarthen hit back and regained possession from a turnover at a Bedwas ruck. Left winger Rhys Thomas made a brilliant break down the touchline, drew Stuart Thomas and set up supporting full back Ricky Williams for a fine try which he also converted.

Bedwas responded putting pressure on the home side but the home defence would not budge and Bedwas were thwarted on several occasions. Bedwas were the architects of their own demise being penalised on several occasions for holding when in sight of the whitewash. Coupled with several unforced errors and a misfiring line-out it looked as though it wasn’t going to be Bedwas’s day.

The second half started as the first had ended, Bedwas still making unforced errors but Stuart Thomas was able to reduce the arrears with an excellent penalty kick after Carmarthen were penalised for a ruck offence. A second Thomas penalty from long range shortly afterwards fell short before the home side had a chance to extend their lead but their penalty attempt went wide after Bedwas were adjudged offside.

Bedwas bought on the replacements in an effort to get back into the game. Replacement outside half Adam Greendale produced a lovely side step to wrong foot the home defence and Kristian Owen finally crossed under the sticks to put Bedwas ahead. Thomas easily added the extras.

Within two minutes the result was sealed when the hard working Sam Feehan crossed to extend the Bedwas lead, Thomas’s conversion going narrowly wide.

Carmarthen tried to get back into the game as conditions deteriorated but Bedwas held out and earn a trip to Swansea on the weekend of March 19th in the next round of the competition.

Bedwas man of the match-Stuart Thomas.

He showed some silky skills and rugby know how to guide his side to a much needed win.