Glamorgan Wanderers
2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Wanderers 30 v 36 Bedwas
02 April 2011 - Memorial Ground, Ely, Cardiff

Match Report

Hard earned bonus point win for Bedwas

Glamorgan Wanderers RFC 30 Bedwas RFC 36

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 02 April 2011.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell

It was almost a novelty for Bedwas to visit the Memorial Ground on a dry, bright afternoon when some of our visits to Ely, Cardiff have been wet, miserable afternoons.

Bedwas were straight onto the front foot. The home defence seemingly still in the dressing room saw them make easy ground and after quick recycling Ryan Owen crossed out wide to open the scoring, Stuart Thomas missing the conversion. Bedwas continued to dominate but Tomas Marks landed a penalty for the home side to reduce arrears after 8 minutes. Not to be denied Bedwas stormed back and Owen was on hand to extend the lead after 15 minutes with his second try, Stuart Thomas converted for a 3-12 lead.  

 It was all Bedwas at this stage and after 20 minutes they extended their lead after Richard Jenkins took advantage to score his first try for Bedwas following poor Wanderers defence at a line-out. Thomas converted again and Bedwas were seemingly cruising at 3-19.

 This seemed to galvanise the home side and they finally awoke from their lethargy to mount some serious attacks. A good break by Jack Roberts nearly resulted in a try but soon afterwards left wing Ceri Llewellyn rounded off a fine move to score, Marks adding the conversion. Suddenly Bedwas discipline slipped and a ruck offence allowed Marks to add a penalty 13-10.

After a break out of defence from Reuben Tucker referee Gwyn Morris produced a yellow card for Jamie Jones after a number of persistent penalty offences and the Wanderers were truly back in the hunt. A second penalty from Marks reduced the arrears to 16-19.

  Bedwas appeared to be awarded a try at the very end of the half but referee Morris seemingly changed his mind after initially awarding the try deeming that the player crossing the line was held up and he immediately blew for half time.

The second half began like the first. Bedwas were straight on the attack going through several phases it seemed a try was inevitable but a forward pass thwarted Kieron Jenkins his opportunity to score a maiden try. An early penalty from Thomas extended the lead 16-22 but resisted everything Bedwas threw at them.  Bedwas extended their lead though a third try from Ryan Owen, Thomas adding the extras.

Wanderers might have been expected to fold at this stage but the introduction of fresh legs saw them come surging back.  After several rucks on the Bedwas line G Morris crashed over for a try, Marks again converting to close the lead to 23-29.

Bedwas refound their dominance after a neat move from a lineout, Tom Cooper scored to once again put the visitors ahead, Thomas adding the conversion for what seemed a 23-36 winning margin with under 10 minutes left.

Wanderers refused to lie down and they threw everything at the visitors. With pressure mounting Bedwas were again reduced to 14 men after a ruck offence and it looked as though Wanderers were not going to be denied

. Tom Rowlands added a try under the sticks converted by Marks and at 30-36 there was the possibility that Bedwas would be pipped at the post.

Wanderers threw the proverbial kitchen sink at Bedwas for the last 7 minutes but solid defence kept out the home side as Bedwas held on for 5 valuable points.


Bedwas Man of the Match:

Aaron Fowler was a livewire in attack and defence

Official : Gwyn Morris (Wales)

Wanderers Bedwas