2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 21 v 26 Quins
19 March 2011 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Bedwas architects of their own downfall

Bedwas RFC 21 Carmarthen Quins RFC 26

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 19 March 2011.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell.

A late Bedwas surge was not enough to prevent Carmarthen Quins gaining a deserved victory against a jaded looking Bedwas side. Bedwas made far too many mistakes on what was a perfect afternoon for rugby; the weather dry and sunny.

 Bedwas scored first courtesy of Tom Cooper’s sixth minute try, Thomas adding the extras after good yards were made by the Bedwas backs. Quins hit back three minutes later after Bedwas were adjudged offside in midfield and Stephenson added the penalty goal.

Bedwas had opportunities to increase their lead but dropped passes and dogged defence from the visitors kept them at bay and as a result the game became ragged with no pattern of play from either side.

The score stayed the same until the 35th minute when Stephenson added his second penalty of the game, but Bedwas looked more likely to score but those aforementioned errors added to the frustration of Bedwas management and supporters.

Against the run of play Carmarthen extended their lead when giant Tongan lock forward Timani crossed for a try which went unconverted, and then Stephenson added a further penalty goal for a 14-7 half time lead for the visitors.

In the second half both sides cancelled each other out before visiting scrum half Martens crossed for an unconverted try to extend his sides lead. It was all Quins at this stage as they added a third try this time by Stephenson who added the conversion and Bedwas looked down and out.

Bedwas made a raft of changes to get back into the game and Mattravers snuck out the back of a ruck to touch down under the sticks, Thomas converting. With the clock running down replacement scum half James Pizey added a further try for Bedwas again converted by Thomas.

Those two tries earnt Bedwas a losing bonus point but even that could have been taken away as Stephenson missed a relatively simple penalty attempt which would have put his side eight points ahead.



Official : Colin Kirkhouse (Wales)

Bedwas Quins