2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 6 v 20 Aberavon
15 January 2011 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Aberavon over power jaded looking Bedwas

Bedwas RFC 6 Aberavon RFC 20

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 15th January 2010

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell

 Of the three Welsh premiership games scheduled for today only Bedwas v Aberavon survived despite persistent rain in the 48 hours leading up to the game.

It was therefore a heavy Bedwas pitch to greet the visitors and therefore not likely to be a game for the fleet footed back divisions. Bedwas recalled centre Tom Cooper and winger Elliot Foils, with Gareth Williams and Adam Greendale the half back pairing.

Bedwas kicked off into a deceptively strong wind but Aberavon had first chance of points and although Davies missed his kick at goal he made amends two minutes later to put his side ahead. Aberavon upped the ante but Bedwas made little headway against the wind but when they did manage to break out Foils knocked on close to the corner. Bedwas gained a penalty for offside against the visitors but Thomas’s kick hit an upright and was cleared to touch.

Both sides struggled to gain the upper hand as forwards tore into each other with ferocity. Bedwas finally managed to get on the score board when Thomas slotted a kick from 40 metres following an offside decision against the visitors.

Aberavon edged back in front when following a break prop forward Breeze was deemed to have crossed following a lengthy conversation between touch judge and referee. Davies added the extras from out wide.

Aberavon continued to press and score a good try through centre Will Price, Davies again adding the extras to see his side 17-3 ahead at half time and Bedwas hoping wind assistance would prove vital in the second half.

Bedwas came out for the second half all guns blazing, but a combination of  handling errors and good defence from the visitors  continued to deny the home side. Stuart Thomas reduced the deficit after 46 minutes after Aberavon were penalised at a ruck but Aberavon’s Davies responded immediately with a kick of his own to restore his side’s advantage.

Both sets of players tried to inject some life into what became a real slog for the remainder of the game but neither side could conjure up a try scoring opportunity and the game petered out as players tired.

Bedwas made replacements but playing catch up rugby on a heavy pitch proved impossible and despite their best efforts Bedwas were second best to a hard working, well organised Aberavon side.

Aberavon Backs Coach Nicky Lloyd said ‘Historically this is a difficult place to come for us and we expected a tough battle today. We are pleased with our performance and the way we held onto the ball especially in the second half We defended well as did Bedwas in the second half and all in all we are pleased with our afternoons work’

Bedwas Head Coach Steve Law ‘This was a game for the purists, Aberavon played the conditions well, were streetwise and took the chances that came along. We looked jaded today and maybe our small (in numbers) squad caught up with us today’

Bedwas entertain the North Wales Development Squad in a friendly at the Bridge Field on Saturday 22 January, kick off 2-30pm.

Official : Wayne Davies (Wales)

Bedwas Aberavon