2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 32 v 19 Pontypool
05 March 2011 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas back to winning ways

Bedwas RFC 32 Pontypool RFC 19

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 05 March 2011.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell

 Bedwas will be delighted to get back to winning ways after a hard fought Gwent derby versus Pontypool.

Bedwas took the lead after 4 minutes courtesy of a 45metre Stuart Thomas penalty goal after Pooler were penalised at a ruck.

 Failure to claim the restart saw Pooler straight back in the game as the ball was put through the hands and winger Williams cross in the corner for an unconverted try. Pooler were on top at this stage and following a penalty after Bedwas were adjudged offside they increased their lead following a drive from a lineout, Captain and Number 8 Bowen claiming the try, again unconverted.

Bedwas upped the ante but Poolers defence held strong and Bedwas could not find a way through.

Bedwas gained a penalty and from the resulting line out No.8 Deri Mattravers returning after a lengthy spell out with injury was driven over for a try, Thomas crucially adding the conversion. Thomas added a further penalty before Pontypool’s O’Driscoll added two from three attempts for a 16-13 half time lead.

Bedwas started the second half as they had begun the first; Stuart Thomas landing a 50metre penalty.

O’Driscoll extended his teams advantage after Bedwas’s Cadman was sin binned for ‘killing the ball’ on 48 minutes before Poolers Treharne saw yellow for the same offence two minutes late, Thomas and O’Driscoll exchanging the respective penalties. Thomas kicked another two penalties from the half way line to extend the home sides lead after Pooler were penalised at the breakdown. 

Ryan Owen made an excellent break down the let wing as Bedwas looked to seal to win but his pass to Thomas was wild and the chance was gone.

Bedwas finally put the result beyond doubt when prop Matthew Pettit drove over for his first league try on 79 minutes, converted by Thomas and claim a hard earned victory for Bedwas.

Star Man

Stuart Thomas kicked superbly ‘off the floor’ and was excellent in defence and attack.

Official : Greg Morgan (Wales)

Bedwas Pontypool