2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 3 v 28 Llanelli
23 October 2010 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Unbeaten home record goes west.

Bedwas RFC 3 Llanelli RFC 28

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 23 October 2010.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell

Bedwas’ unbeaten home record went west as Llanelli overpowered a strangely off colour home side.

In changes to last weeks team Bedwas were without inspirational Number 8 Deri Mattravers who is injured, Gareth Knight comes in at lock, Brendon Lampitt moving into the back row, the rest of the team unchanged.

The tone was set from kick off as the home side were penalised at a ruck. The resulting penalty saw another ruck set up and home skipper Crawford harshly sin binned for allegedly killing the ball, Shingler confidently stroking the ball through the posts from 25 metres. Almost straight away Thomas had the chance to make amends but his kick went horribly wrong as he dragged the ball left of the posts.

Llanelli countered and Lee Williams scored a try out wide, Shingler missing the conversion. Bedwas tried to get back into the game but Llanelli extended their lead through prop forward Rhodri Jones, Shingler adding the extras, despite Bedwas protests of a blatant forward pass.

It was all Llanelli at this stage as their brand of fast running rugby saw winger Jonny Lewis cross for an unconverted try to lead 20 points to 3 after 20 minutes. Everything Bedwas tried went wrong, wrong options, dropped balls and other uncharacteristic errors. Llanelli had opportunities to close the half out with more points but Bedwas held out as the half petered out without further scores.

Bedwas came out for the second half with all guns blazing and looked to run at their hosts but could not find any fluency. Kristian Owen made a break for Bedwas but the move broke down inches from the try line. Llanelli extended their lead with a penalty from in front of the posts by Shingler, before Reynolds added their fourth (and bonus point securing try) following an interception. Again Bedwas were unable to conjure up further points as Llanelli defended well. Whenever they did threaten refereeing decisions seemed to go the way of the visitors and any impetus faded.

Bedwas defended well but Llanelli were worthy winners of a one sided match which saw Llanelli down to 14 men for the last three minutes as Cudd was despatched to the sin bin for persistent infringing.

Official : Martyn Lewis (Wales)

Bedwas Llanelli