2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 18 v 15 Llandovery
02 October 2010 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas edge past Drovers

Bedwas RFC 18 Llandovery RFC 15

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 2 October 2010.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell

Bedwas eased past Llandovery in a hard fought, error ridden game at the Bridge Field.

A re-shuffle in the backs saw Tom Cooper recalled at centre following injury, Jake Cooper, Richard Jenkins and Ian Smerdon retained their places at tight head, open side flanker and outside half respectively. Kieran Crawford taking over the captains armband.

Bedwas started well and were three points ahead from the boot of Stuart Thomas within two minutes after Llandovery were adjudged offside.

Good passing between forwards and backs saw Bedwas extend their lead as second row James Murphy galloped through for a fine try, Thomas adding the extras. Bedwas pressed for another score but Llandovery defended well and then eased themselves back into the game courtesy of a Cerith Rees penalty.

Bedwas countered and the normally reliable Stuart Thomas couldn’t find his usual accuracy and at least two kickable penalties drifted wide. His counterpart Rees was having a successful day however and he landed two further goals before the interval to put his side one point behind at the break. Bedwas had opportunities to add to their score but wrong options and handling errors meant the score at half time was 10-9. Both sides were a man short through indiscipline, Bedwas prop Cooper being sin binned for a ruck offence seconds before the half time whistle blew.

Bedwas knew they had to up the ante for the second half  but Drovers defended resolutely. Bedwas managed to capitalise on a Llandovery handling error and Jamie Jones managed to hack the ball on and win the race to the white wash. Thomas missed the conversion.

The game descended into a battle as both sides cancelled each other out, Rees adding another penalty for the visitors from the half way line. At the other end Stuart Thomas was having a bad day missing two further shots at goal following Llandovery indiscipline. The two sides were locked at 15 all following a further Rees penalty after Bedwas were adjudged offside.

Bedwas came back on the offensive and after a Llandovery replacement found himself sin binned for hands in the ruck Stuart Thomas finally found his range to add a simple, close range penalty goal  and edge Bedwas ahead.

The whistle seemed to be a long time coming and Bedwas were finally relieved to be winners. Bedwas Head Coach commented ‘I am happy to gain the win in what was a hard fought encounter, both sides made errors and this did not contribute to the entertainment.’ ‘At the end of the day we have kept our unbeaten home record and will continue to work hard’

Bedwas Man of the Match: Matthew Pettit, put in an energetic, committed shift.

Official : Rhys Thomas (Wales)

Bedwas Llandovery