2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 35 v 34 Cardiff
18 September 2010 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Thrilling match culminates with Bedwas win

Bedwas RFC 35 Cardiff RFC 34

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 18 September 2010.

Stuart Thomas kicked a 55 metre injury time penalty goal for Bedwas to snatch victory at the death in what was an enthralling game of rugby.

Another home game and another meeting with one of the giants of the Welsh club scene. Bedwas made changes to the side defeated at Aberavon last time out. Gareth Knight came in at lock, Phil Sargent and Kieran Crawford come back after injury and Adam Greendale makes his first start of the season in place of Gethin Worgan who broke his arm last week at Aberavon.

 Bedwas started kicking into the wind and Cardiff had the first chance but Davies hit the post with his shot at goal after 5 minutes. He made amends five minutes later after Bedwas were penalised at a ruck.

A brilliant Bedwas counter attack led by scrum half Gareth Williams saw Bedwas backs and forwards combine to put Stuart Thomas over for a try after 17 minutes, Thomas adding the extra two points himself. Cardiff hit straight back with Harrington crossing for a try Davies landing the conversion to tie the scores at 10-10.

Both sides had further penalty chances that went astray before Davies slotted one for Cardiff after 35 minutes.   With Cardiff a player short following the sin binning of Matthew John for a high tackle after 36 minutes Bedwas applied pressure but Thomas missed his kick. This spurred the home side on and Mattravers should have scored but just went into touch as he powered through. Against the run of play in first half injury time Cardiff outside half Davies weaved through for a try which he converted himself for a 20 -10 lead at the break.

James Pizey replaced Gareth Williams at the start of the half with the latter having pulled a hamstring.

The wind Bedwas had had in their faces for the first half appeared to have eased for the second half, and Bedwas started the second half quietly and found themselves down to 14 men when Mattravers was sin binned for a high tackle after 48 minutes, Davies missing the penalty chance, his shot hitting a post.

Bedwas were not to be denied however, flanker Phil Sargent broke through for a great try, converted by Thomas and Bedwas were back in the hunt. It was all Bedwas at this stage and replacement second row James Murphy celebrated his 24th birthday with a well taken try but the conversion was wide.

Cardiff re took the lead with a try by replacement Joseph Griffin, converted by Davies after 63 minutes before Thomas kicked a penalty to put Bedwas two points adrift at 25-27. It was nip and tuck before Stuart Thomas put back rower Sam Feehan in for a Bedwas try after 71 minutes to put 32-27 ahead.

Everything seemed to go against Bedwas for the next ten minutes before Cardiff scored a try after 79 minutes by Williams, Davies adding the conversion for a 34-32 lead with the clock ticking down.

 Bedwas were not done and went back on the offensive. Deep into injury time Bedwas earnt a penalty which Thomas converted from fully 45 metres and the referee blew for time 30 seconds later and Bedwas had claimed a one point winning margin for the second successive home game.

Man of the match Stuart Thomas claimed a twenty point personal tally with a try, three penalties and three conversions and held his nerve to slot a difficult match winning penalty at the death.


Official : Tim Hayes (Wales)

Bedwas Cardiff