2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Pontypool 27 v 16 Bedwas
28 August 2010 - Pontypool Park, Pontypool

Match Report

Bedwas defeated at Pontypool

Pontypool RFC 27 Bedwas RFC 16

Principality Welsh Premier Division,  Saturday 28 August 2010.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell


 Bedwas began the new season with a trip to Pontypool.

Debuts were given to a few new faces, giants Cadman and Foils at lock forward and wing respectively and Charlie Johnson at centre. The new season sees Kieran Crawford taking on the captain’s armband, and the return of James Pizey at scrum half having missed virtually all last season due to injury.

 Bedwas played the first half up the slope and into the wind. Pooler drew first blood after Bedwas were adjudged off side in front of their posts and Geraint O’Driscoll slotted the kick through the posts for a 3-0 advantage. Pooler upped the ante and Worgan’s relieving kick was charged down by Connor for a canter to the line and a try under the sticks, O’Driscoll adding the extras and Bedwas were 10 points adrift with barely seven minutes played.

Bedwas were not to be denied for long and a fine run by Jamie Jones saw him weave past several defenders for a try to the left of the post which Worgan successfully converted and Bedwas were back in the hunt.

Bedwas did themselves no favours however as mistakes handed the initiative back to their hosts. A wild pass in midfield gave Pooler back possession and Chris Macey had an easy run in for a try, O’Driscoll adding the two points. It was all Pontypool at this stage as their pack bossed Bedwas in the tight and combined with Connor’s deft kicking to the corners saw Bedwas gaining little momentum nor indeed territory. O’Driscoll had an opportunity to extend his sides lead but missed his penalty kick before Bedwas made it even harder on themselves when Mattravers found himself sin binned for tripping home scrum half Quick.

Shorn of a key forward saw Bedwas under pressure and from a rolling maul Pontypool captain Geraint Morris was driven over for a third try, again converted by O’Driscoll.

Things were evened up when Pontypool captain Morris was shown yellow for foul play but Bedwas contributed to their down fall by throwing forward passes and then James Pizey being sin binned for a high tackle and Bedwas played out the half with thirteen men, and reached the interval 24-7 adrift.

 Undoubtedly Bedwas coach Steve Law had stern words for his charges during the half time break and visiting supporters hoped the team would be lifted from their lethargy for the second half.

With the wind at their backs and the advantage of the slope Bedwas started confidently and Owen found the corner with a nice kick only for Bedwas to be penalised for a line out offence.

Worgan put a dent in the home sides lead by confidently kicking a penalty after the home side were adjudged off side. Both sides though seemed to be cancelling each other out with both sides guilty of kicking away possession.

Worgan was able to add two more penalty goals the second of which from the half way line and the home sides lead reduced to 24-16. Not to be out done O’Driscoll adding a further penalty made easier by Bedwas being marched back by the referee for back chat. Bedwas looked to hit back but having gained good field position squandered the opportunity and the game petered out to a 27-16 victory to the home side.

Next up for Bedwas is a home game versus current champions Neath on Saturday 4 September, kick off 2-30 p.m.

Official : Phil Fear (Wales)

Pontypool Bedwas