2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 28 v 30 Quins
10 April 2010 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Bedwas press the self destruct button

Bedwas RFC 28 Carmarthen Quins RFC 30

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 10 April 2010.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell.

Bedwas threw away a healthy half time lead to lose a match they should have won.

On a warm, sunny spring afternoon Bedwas welcomed Carmarthen Quins to the Bridge Field, Hywel Jenkins taking on the captain’s armband.

 Bedwas attacked from the start and were unlucky not to score out wide but Quins managed to clear the ball to safety. Bedwas won good lineout ball but Worgan’s clearance went out on the full, Quins countered but from a scrum deep in the Bedwas 25 were deemed not to have bound correctly and Worgan was able to clear.

Quins hit back with a good try from centre Andrew Banfield following a deft kick by outside half Gareth Cull, though Cull’s conversion attempt from out wide missed the target. Bedwas attempted to get back into the game and looked certain to score when Tom Edwards intercepted a pass but the opportunity was lost. Quins added to their lead with a Cull penalty goal after the home side were adjudged off side after 18 minutes.

Two minutes later a great break from Stuart Thomas resulted in Jamie Jones racing over for an unconverted try and this was followed up five minutes later when Stuart Thomas himself scored a fine try but again Worgan was wide with his conversion attempt. Bedwas pressed for another score with forwards and backs combining but it was the visitors who scored next from the boot of Cull. Worgan finally found his kicking boots and landed a superb penalty from just inside the Quins half, a second penalty from similar range though just went wide of the posts.

Just before the half time break a searing break by Matt Pizey set up flanker Rob Carter to gallop in from twenty five metres for the try of the day, Worgan added the extras before he and his opposite number Cull exchanged three pointers as the teams reached half time with Bedwas 23-14 ahead.

Quins came out strongly for the second half and defended stoutly. Bedwas though looked to have the measure of their visitors and Stuart Thomas made a fine try saving tackle to deny Quins a try. Cull however notched a penalty on the hour mark to reduce to deficit to six points. Bedwas were under a great deal of pressure at this stage but when they finally broke out of defence and Worgan missed two penalty attempts which would have relieved the pressure on a tiring defence.

Although Quins had been warned after being penalised for various infringements it was Bedwas who received a yellow card when Rob Carter was sin binned for hands in a ruck after 68 minutes and Cull duly clawed back another three points for his team.

Carmarthen upped the ante and from a scrum deep in the Bedwas 25 were awarded a penalty try as the Bedwas pack a man short paid the price for Carter’s indiscretion, Cull adding the extras for a 27-23 lead.

Thirty seconds before Carter’s sin binning was due to end Bedwas were reduced to 13 men as replacement flanker Phil Sargent was despatched to the cooler for a ruck offence only seen by the match officials. Cull coolly landed the resultant penalty and his side lead by 30 points to 23 with Bedwas struggling to find any cohesion and bereft of ideas.

Bedwas found their second wind as the clock ticked away, lock Jamie Murphy crossing for his sides fourth and bonus point winning try. Replacement out side half Adam Greendale had the chance to level the scores with what was the last kick of the game but his effort went wide. Bedwas gained one losing bonus for finishing within 7 points of the opposition and a second bonus point for scoring four tries but were disappointed not to take the win the first half performance deserved.

Official : Rhys Thomas (Wales)

Bedwas Quins