2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Pontypool 44 v 29 Bedwas
12 March 2010 - Pontypool Park, Pontypool

Match Report

Bedwas sunk by first half blitz

Pontypool RFC 44 Bedwas RFC 29

Principality Welsh Premiership, Friday 11 March 2010.

Match report by John Meredith

Bedwas visited Pontypool for a Friday night fixture looking to win their third successive match. Kieran Crawford captained the team in the injury enforced absence of Hywel Jenkins, Deri Mattravers was unavailable and Tom Cooper is also still out injured.

Pontypool currently lie bottom of the Welsh Premiership but they had a notable confidence boosting win against high flying Swansea in their last match at Pontypool Park.

Bedwas won the toss and elected to kick into the wind and up the slope. Put simply Pontypool played like a side resembling champions for the first 40 minutes as Bedwas were simply blown away. Their back row of Morris, Treharne and Bowen were magnificent. Pooler posted 5 tries in the first half all converted by their talented fly half Hancock who added a penalty for good measure. Bedwas got on the scoreboard with a try from Luke Dyckoff and a conversion and penalty goal by Adam Greendale. Bedwas were guilty of wrong options, poor tackling and were totally out enthused as Pooler took a game winning 38 points to 10 margins into the break having played some sparkling rugby for the first half.

 Bedwas played much better in the second half and scored three further tries by Andrew McLaughlan, replacement scrum half Adam Williams and a penalty try for a deliberate knock on which should have merited a sin binning. Pooler managed to add a further two penalty goals to run out 44 points to 29 victors. That Bedwas had managed to close the gap to only 15 points is no mean achievement and saw the team earn a bonus point for scoring four tries.  Bedwas displayed a fighting spirit till the end.

Bedwas Man of the Match

Luke Dyckoff shone like a beacon on a bleak night for Bedwas. The big blonde back rower was constant threat to Pooler every time he had the ball in his hands. His support play was very good throughout the game.

Bedwas now play Cardiff RFC in successive matches, on Friday 19 March k.o 19-15hrs in the league and then on Saturday 27 March k.o 14-30 hrs in the quarter finals of the Principality Welsh Cup. These will be very tough matches given the depth in quality of the Cardiff squad. As supporters we know the boys can beat anyone on their day and say ‘Come on the Bed’, we all believe in you.

Official : Sean Brickell (Wales)

Pontypool Bedwas