2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 6 v 24 Newport
23 January 2010 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas downed by Gwent rivals

Bedwas RFC 6 Newport RFC 24

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 23 January 2010.

Match report by John Meredith, Photography by Ian Lovell

  Missed kicks at goal and the second half sin-binning of skipper Hywel Jenkins proved ultimately costly as Newport turned on the power in the second half to put Bedwas to the sword.

Hopes were high among the home faithful that the team could take something from this local derby, although Newport bought along a very strong side with ex Bedwas favourites Adam Hughes starting on the wing and lock Adam Brown on the replacements bench.

  Bedwas started well enough and gained the first penalty of the day after Newport were adjudged offside, Worgan’s effort sailing wide. Bedwas continued to try to break down a well organised Newport defence but the visitors were able to put the home side on the back foot and gained their own penalty for offside which Griffiths missed.

Bedwas hit back and had another penalty shot, this time from distance and Worgan’s kick fell short. Finally on his third attempt of the day Worgan found his range and Bedwas took the lead.

Newport hit back with good work at a ruck and after Bedwas were penalised for hands in the ruck Griffiths’ kick to the corner saw but Bedwas defended stoutly. Not to be outdone Newport spread the ball wide to their speedy backs that put Bedwas under intense pressure before Adam Hughes crossed in the corner, Griffiths unable to add the extras.

Bedwas continued to work hard but were unable to break down a resolute Newport defence but good play by the forwards gained a penalty kick which Worgan despatched to give the home side a 6-5 lead going into the break.

Bedwas started the second half well and earnt a penalty in front of the posts but once again Worgan’s kick was wide. The match became a little dour as both sides kicked the ball away aimlessly. Then on 54 minutes came the games defining moments as captain Hywel Jenkins was sent to the sin bin for an alleged punch, only seen by the touch judge.

From the resulting penalty Newport set up a driving maul and prop forward Pattison was driven over out wide, Griffiths missed the conversion.

Bedwas fought hard whilst down to fourteen men as the game became a typical Gwent derby dogfight with little fluency. Try as they might Bedwas could not break down the visitor’s defence who scored a further try following good play by their backs as replacement hooker Goodfield went over for a try converted by replacement Chris Wannell. At this stage Newport were well on top and in the final minute Wannell himself scored his sides fourth and bonus point winning try and added the conversion to make the final score 6-24.

Bedwas Man of the Match: James Murphy never gave an inch was good in the lineout and loose and kept going for the whole match.

Official : Sean Brickell (Wales)

Bedwas Newport