2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 36 v 37 Aberavon
20 April 2010 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas pipped at the death

Bedwas RFC 36 Aberavon RFC 37

Principality Welsh Premiership, Tuesday 20 April 2010.

Match report by John Meredith, photography by Ian Lovell.

 Bedwas entertained Aberavon in their last game of what has been a long hard season. A bright, dry sunny evening greeted everyone as Bedwas looked to put their thrashing at Neath behind them.

 Playing towards the club house Bedwas were straight onto the front foot and gained a penalty after 5 minutes when the Wizards were adjudged offside at a ruck. Worgan confidently stroked the kick between the posts. Three minutes later a good break by Tom Edwards saw Tom Cooper go over in the corner, Worgan’s kick was wide on this occasion but Bedwas were 8 points to the good.

Aberavon hit back with an unconverted try by Rhys Webb before Bedwas were penalised for holding on at a ruck and Jamie Davies slotted the penalty goal.

 Bedwas hit back with a pressure relieving penalty from Stuart Thomas before a searing run from Dan Dearden lead to a 17th minute try for James Murphy, Worgan’s conversion drifting wide. Worgan made amends minutes later after Aberavon were penalised for holding on at a ruck and Bedwas led by 16 points to 8 having dominated the opening 30 minutes. They extended their lead after Aberavon were adjudged offside in midfield and Worgan landed his penalty kick.

Aberavon forced their way back into the game and on gaining territory saw Bedwas penalised for feeding at a set scrum and Aberavon scrum half Rhys Webb took a quick tap penalty and darted in for a try improved by Davies.

Bedwas hit back with a magnificent solo try from Stuart Thomas as he ran from his own 25 metre line sidestepping and holding off would be tacklers to touch down under the posts, Worgan added the extras and Bedwas reached half time 26-15 ahead.

 Aberavon began the second half positively but Bedwas defending stoutly, Deri Mattravers producing a try saving tackle and Bedwas cleared their lines. Aberavon attacked in numbers and after Bedwas were adjudged offside 5 metres from the try line opted for a scrum and Davies was tackled just short of the line as Bedwas defended strongly.

 As Bedwas hit back Gethin Worgan was tackled high but no sanction other than a penalty was forthcoming which Worgan missed before Aberavon hit back only for Matthew Petit to produce a try saving tackle. Not to be outdone Aberavon’s momentum saw them continue to attack and winger Chris Morgans crossed under the sticks and replacement outside half Matthew Jarvis added the extras.

 Bedwas hit straight back and Dan Dearden ran in a good try under the sticks which Worgan improved. Again Aberavon attacked and flanker Ben Thomas crossed for an unconverted try.

Bedwas gained a penalty as Aberavon were penalised for kicking the ball dead, Worgan landing his kick before Bedwas were penalised for a ruck offence and Jarvis added his penalty goal.

Bedwas continued to defend well until very late in the game a well worked move saw flanker Thomas cross for his second try wide of the posts and Jarvis stepped up to add the conversion to give his side a 37 points to 36 victory.

Official : Phil Fear (Wales)

Bedwas Aberavon