2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 28 v 9 Wanderers
07 November 2009 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Bedwas Earn Bonus Point Win

Andrew McLaughlan battles throughAndrew Tibbatts is blockedTom Cooper looks for supportMatthew Pizey makes a break 

Bedwas RFC 28 Glamorgan Wanderers RFC 9

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 07 November 2009.

Match report by John Meredith, photographs by Ian Lovell.

Bedwas entertained Wanderers in an early kick off due to the Wales-New Zealand game in Cardiff. Wanderers are often a ‘bogey’ side for Bedwas and have taken a few big scalps this season. In fullback Dan Fish they have a real flier, a dangerous player against any side.

Bedwas brought in new signing at scrum half Tom Edwards (from Pontypool), Matthew Pettit at loose head prop, Andrew Tibbatts at lock, and Stuart Phillips out of position at blind side flanker. Steve Gardner pulled out injured and was replaced by Newport’s Dan McShane on loan at number 8. The side again captained by Kristian Owen.

The first half was a low key affair with Wanderers on top, but crucially they failed to score a try with Bedwas defending resolutely. If there was a flaw to the Bedwas play it was aimless kicking the ball back to the visitors and at times living off Wanderers mistakes. The forwards looked sharper than last week, scrum and lineout functioning better. McShane stood out in the loose for Bedwas but the first half petered out into a kick fest as Wanderers Scott Sneddon landed three penalty goals to Gethin Worgan’s two.

The second half started as the first ended with Wanderers attacking. Bedwas suddenly burst into life as the ball was spread wide and full back Andrew McLaughlan sprinted forty metres for an unconverted try. The Bedwas pack began to dominate their opponents, James Murphy and the three back rowers showing some fine form. Matthew Pizey made a break down the right wing slipping the ball inside for Kristian Owen to run in for a try. Once again Worgan’s conversion attempt went wide.

Keeping the pressure on James Murphy ran over for a smart try following a deft pass from Edwards, again unconverted by Worgan.

Bedwas saved the best for last. Andrew Tibbatts won good lie out ball and his second row partner Murphy outsprinted the Wanderers defence for his second try of the afternoon. Gethin Worgan finally nailed the conversion to ensure Bedwas had a winning bonus and a five points haul.

Bedwas Man of the Match

James Murphy in his first season of rugby at premiership level continues to impress and his two tries were well taken. Credit to all the team for an outstanding second half performance.

Bedwas Head Coach Steve Law:-

‘I am over the moon; the boys thoroughly deserved it after their second half performance’

Official : David Bodilly (Wales)

Bedwas Wanderers