2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 13 v 20 Pontypridd
03 October 2009 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas Hopes Blown Away In The Wind

Tom Cooper is heldRob Carter finds some spaceBob Mordecai claims a lineoutAdam Greendale shifts the ball on

Bedwas RFC 13 Pontypridd RFC 20

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 3rd October 2009.

Match report by John Meredith, photographs by Ian Lovell.


  Bedwas entertained the ‘Valley Commandoes’ hoping to improve on their last three games having conceded 140 plus points against Swansea, Aberavon and Newport.

Changes to the previous week’s line-up saw Adam Greendale starting at outside half, Phil Price at loose head prop and local boy Rob Carter starting his first game at open side flanker.

 As usual third placed Ponty bought a large, vocal crowd to the Bridge Field, and like Bedwas were missing key players through injury.

 Bedwas won the toss and opted to play towards Caerphilly into a near gale force wind. Ponty won the early exchanges and were playing attractive open rugby, but to their credit Bedwas defended resolutely. Bedwas scrum half Tom Dickens made an exciting break before being dragged down 20 metres out at the expense of a penalty. It looked as though Bedwas would take the lead from the ensuing kick but unfortunately it was not to be.

 The visitors responded with a well taken penalty from their young outside half Dean Gunter and then turned on the pressure which saw Bedwas second row James Murphy yellow carded for killing the ball. The extra man told for Pontypridd with their captain and number 8 Nathan Strong being driven over from a maul, Gunter adding the conversion.

Pontypridd extended their lead when prop Sam Hobbs went over in the corner following good passing by his team mates, once again Gunter added the extra two points. There was still time for Gunter to add another penalty goal following a Bedwas misdemeanour at a scrum 8 metres from the try line.

 Bedwas shuffled their backline after the interval. Winger Dan Hitchings went off with a suspected broken hand, Gethin Worgan taking over outside half duties, Greendale moving to centre.

  Bedwas got the ideal start to the second half with flanker Rob Carter scoring his first senior try, Worgan added the extras. The gap closed further with Worgan adding two more penalties and Bedwas worked hard scenting a victory. Sadly all the hard work was undone when captain Hywel Jenkins was sin binned for a high tackle on Pontypridd centre Lockyer with ten minutes remaining. Bedwas had chances to win the match but were not clinical and despite their efforts Pontypridd hung on for a hard earned win.

 Bedwas will now look to regroup for the visit of Pontypool next Saturday for what is a must win game.


Bedwas Man of the Match Tom Cooper who gave a powerful display full of running and superb tackling.




Official : Tim Hayes (Wales)

Bedwas Pontypridd