2008/2009 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 22 v 33 Newport
02 May 2009 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Missed Chances Prove Costly


Bedwas RFC 22 Newport RFC 33

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 02 May 2009.

Match report by John Meredith, photographs by Ian Lovell.

Bedwas entertained local rivals Newport RFC in the penultimate game of the 2008-09 season in the knowledge that their Premiership status was secure for the next season.

Bedwas will rue missed chances which should have earned the team victory but instead Newport’s last game try prevented Bedwas earning what would have been a deserved losing bonus point.

The first half was keenly contested, Newport’s outside half Dan Griffiths landing four penalty kicks, Bedwas having a Matthew Pizey try converted by Phil Dollman to show for their efforts. Bedwas captain Hywel Jenkins should have scored a try in the first half but appeared to lose balance just before touching down but the ball was spilled forward and the chance was gone.

Just before half time Bedwas had flanker Brendan Lampitt sin binned for an offence at a ruck. Immediately after the break Bedwas paid the price as centre Scott Williams made a run to set up second row Adam Frampton to run in from 30 metres for a decisive try. Bedwas’s efforts to get back into the game game to nought as the normally reliable Phil Dollman had an off day with his place kicking.

Bedwas were not to be denied as James Pizey and Adam Brown crossed for tries, Dollman added a penalty and a conversion before a late Tom Riley try wrapped up the points for Newport and took away the precious Bedwas losing bonus point.

Man of the match for Bedwas was James Pizey who was a constant threat and is showing fine form at the moment.

Adam Brown goes through a gap.

Kristian Owen is held up by Newports Workman and Quick

Phil Dollman looks for support

Stuart Thomas charges through

Tom Williams breaks through the Newport defence

Official : Gwyn Morris (Wales)

Bedwas Newport