Glamorgan Wanderers
2008/2009 Principality Premiership
Wanderers 9 v 3 Bedwas
17 January 2009 - Memorial Ground, Ely, Cardiff

Match Report

Disappointment in Cardiff


Glamorgan Wanderers RFC 9 Bedwas RFC 3

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 17 January 2009.

Match report by John Meredith, photographs by Ian Lovell.

Following a three week weather enforced lay-off Bedwas made the short journey to the Memorial Ground, Ely home of Glamorgan Wanderers. Recent signings Dai Maddocks and Gethin Worgan both making their debuts.

Bedwas captained by Deri Mattravers played the first half up the slope and into the wind on a ‘glue pot’ of a pitch due to the heavy rain of the previous week.

Bedwas started well and put their hosts under pressure for the first twenty minutes, Matthew Pizey making one scything run before being bought down. For all the effort Bedwas remained empty handed, though many supporters felt the referee was also inconsistent.

In the tight the Bedwas scrum went well, Dai Maddocks battling well against Wanderers’ Cardiff Blue and Welsh international John Yapp, who one good break aside had a torrid time. The Bedwas line-out also went well with Adam Brown jumping well, backed up by strong performance from Hywel Jenkins and Andrew Tibbatts.

Wanderers edged ahead courtesy of two penalty goals from full back Jason Pocock after Bedwas had been adjudged off side, but the Bedwas try line remained intact courtesy of some resolute defending.

Bedwas began the second half on the front foot and continued to put their hosts under pressure further opportunities for tries sadly went begging such was the Bedwas dominance which saw Wanderers camped in their own half for long periods. Bedwas were eventually rewarded as Gethin Worgan slotted a penalty goal only for the referee to penalise Bedwas at the restart and again Pocock took his chance to make it 9 points to 3.

Bedwas had a great try scoring opportunity at the death, Adam Hughes putting Matthew Pizey in space on the overlap but unfortunately Pizey ran into the last tackle and the chance was gone as referee Jones blew for time.

On another day Bedwas would have taken all four points, the commanding performances of Adam Brown, Hywel Jenkins and Gethin Worgan deserved. Likewise captain Deri Mattravers led from the front but Bedwas had to be content with a losing bonus point.

Wanderers Captain Mark Roper

‘Bedwas were unlucky. It was a hard game, I’m sure they will stay up they are a tough side to beat’

James Pizey looks for support

Adam Brown is tackled

Gethin Worgan gets the ball away from a ruck

Andrew Tibbatts holds on

Official : David Jones (Wales)

Wanderers Bedwas