2007/2008 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 19 v 25 Wanderers
29 September 2007 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Bedwas late fightback too late


Bedwas fight back too late.

Bedwas RFC 19, Glamorgan Wanderers 25

Principality Welsh Premier, Saturday 29 September 2007.

A very physical confrontation between two clubs with a long history of closely fought games, the match producing three tries apiece. The Cardiff club with a definite in height and weight, which they used to good effect, leaving Bedwas playing catch-up rugby. Bedwas salvaged a bonus point, but slip to seventh in the Premiership table.

Wanderers were on the scoreboard with a 5th minute try, huge lock Gareth KNIGHT crashing over, centre ALED JAMES converting. However, Bedwas hit straight back with fast handling and hooker PETER HARRISON went over in the corner three minutes later. Once again, however, GARETH KNIGHT was driven over for his second try, JAMES converting, followed by a drop goal from outside half MARK ROPER. Bedwas facing an uphill task surged back but a strong Wanderers defence held out. Both sides producing some bulldozing crash ball runs but half time saw Bedwas trailing 17-5.

From the restart the visitors again resorted to gaining territory with long driving mauls, pedantic but effective, albeit at snails pace, possession maintained resulting in a try from MARK ROPER and a significant lead.

With Bedwas beginning to put together fluent handling moves the game came alight when a break out of defence bought the try of the match. Wing NATHAN HILL snapped up a loose ball and used his side stepping pace to round man after man for a 65 metre solo try, STUART THOMAS adding the conversion. Just two minutes later a full 60 metres sweeping bout of handling saw STUART THOMAS cross in the corner, the same player converting from a difficult angle to put Bedwas within three points.

With twelve minutes remaining visiting centre ALED JAMES slotted a penalty to make the game safe as a rattled Wanderers defended to the end.

Bedwas next face Swansea at the Bridge Field on Saturday 13 October 2007.

Bedwas coach Nathan Jones
Our performance was certainly an improvement on our previous win against Cross Keys but was not enough for the result. We made too many mistakes, defended well against a much heavier side but struggled to contain their driving mauls. Perhaps if we had released the ball earlier and more freely than we did in the last quarter we may have done better.

Glam. Wanderers Head Coach Richard Hodges
Dominant for 65 minutes of the game, lost it for a 15 minute period as Bedwas got their backs moving, but we started hitting the rucks and mauls hard again to get on top as Bedwas closed the gap. The matches between our clubs have traditionally been hard and close, the result almost on the toss of a coin. An important result for us.


15 Stuart Thomas, 14 Adam Hughes, 13 Phil Dollman, 12 Gareth McCarthy, 11 Nathan Hill, 10 John Welch (Captain), 9 Simon Jones, 1 Dafydd Lewis, 2 Peter Harrison, 3 Brian Edwards, 4 Rhodri Edwards, 5 Adam Brown, 6 Neil Lewis, 7 James Harris, 8 Deri Mattravers.


16 Keiron Jenkins (Edwards h/t), 17 Ben Flower (Harrison 35 mins), 18 Aled Williams ( Lewis (h/t), 19 Craig Powell (R.Edwards 65 mins), 20 Phil Sargent (Harris 40 mins), 21 James Pizey (Jones 73 mins), 22 Dai Atkins (McCarthy 49 mins).

Bedwas No.8 gets the ball away from a scrum.

Bedwas hooker moves the ball under pressure.